RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:34:33 EST
I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving --- but not too much!

I was a good boy.  Meredith wants to know what I ate.  Well, first I made
sure I was good and "hungry."  My parents said they'd probably be having
dinner around 4 pm, so I ate nothing at all yesterday before heading down
to Toledo in the early afternoon.  I packed and brought my T-dinner with
me.

My Toledo sister Esther did the cooking for my parents, nephew (her
14-yr-old son), and herself --- stuffed turkey with all the trimmings,
cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, spices, a small raw
salad, some kind of thick apple drink, and apple pie.  That's what they
ate.  We sat down to eat at 3:40pm.  She was cooking for most of the
morning/afternoon, I think.

I joined them and unwrapped my 100% organic (part biodynamic --- organic
plus) meal:  2 small golden delicious apples, 2 medjool dates, 2 carrots,
1 rutabaga, and 4 oz (dry wt) of whole unhulled oats, soaked overnight
and rinsed.  I ate the ingredients one at a time, in that sequence.  (I
also brought with me some spare apples, dates, and 2 oz almonds, soaked,
just in case, but mostly for today's enjoyment.)  Raw food chewing being
what it is, they were finished with their apple pie soon after I began
eating the oats, and I was still chewing away on my oats 10-15 mins after
the table was cleared (but at least I didn't have to cook all morning,
only slightly messed up one plate, knife and fork, which barely needed
washing).  The food was delicious, especially the rutabaga --- sweet, but
not too sweet (as the apples and dates almost were), juicy, and with a
slight radishy bite.

It pained me to see my parents poisoning themselves after all the
attempts at diet education I have foisted off on them, but I said nothing
about their food, and they said nothing about mine.  My mother had sinus
problems and a cough that appeared to be remnants of a cold she had last
week when I went down to visit.  Still, I said nothing, and ended up
having a pleasant visit.

Though still "hungry," I ate nothing more yesterday, just that 1 meal
(they had 3, I think), and was rewarded by waking up in the morning with
the following vital signs: T=96.6, BP=77/48, and P=46.  Tomorrow's pulse
will undoubtedly be higher because I was less good today.  I ate twice
(still not big meals), including 2 oz almonds (pre-soaked) at each meal.
I probably should have skipped the second almond dose.

I just know I enjoyed my raw food Thanksgiving  better than they enjoyed
their cooked one.  I hope you all had a pleasant holiday too.

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])