RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 21:53:42
Carl Contino <[log in to unmask]>
> But as soon as the [juice] fast was broken, my
>obsession with sugar immediately returned.

It is very easy, especially in the early years of trying to switch
to a raw diet, to fall off the wagon.  I know if I eat cooked foods
for several days, that I'm then off the wagon & have to try very
hard to get back on.  Give it time Carl, and don't fool around with
half-measures.  If you do so well on a juice diet [what you call a
"fast'], then when you go off it don't eat a little of this cooked &
a little of that cooked.  Before you know it you will be craving all
sorts of deleterious foods & you'll be back at square one.  Your
appetite is obviously all screwed up, and until you clean out
[preferably with a true fast, or series of fasts with raw eating
between them] it will stay screwed up.  It took you years to get
where you are today, & this is not something you can reverse
overnight.  Patience.  And fortitude too: don't wimp out here but
make up your mind to follow through with this & you'll persevere.

Your appetite is in overdrive because your blood sugar regulatory
mechanism is now out of whack.  Raw foods are handled entirely
differently in the body than are cooked foods.  Raw foods will even
out your blood sugar swings if you give them a chance to work.  Read
Stanley Bass' essay on what happens when you clean up your diet,
which is available on Chet Day's www pages:

http://members.GNN.COM/chetday/hb.htm

Be aware that the cravings you experience are a result of
malnutrition.  Alcoholics, for example, have gross B-vitamin
deficiencies, and those alcoholics who take heavy B-vitamin
supplements have experienced radical improvements in their alcohol
craving.  Sugar is no different.  As a short-term aid, this may be
well worth your trying.  Try lots of sunlight too if it is available
to you, be sure to get proper sleep/rest.

--Doug Schwartz