RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patricia Rathbone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:13:27 +0700
At 10:36 PM 1/20/97 -0700, Kirt wrote: (yes, it was a long time ago) ...

P>>>A few days ago I shared a can of (dolphin-free) tuna with my cat. ...

K>If you ever do taste some raw tuna (a sushi bar is easiest, but perhaps too
K>public in some cases), you may be _very_ surprised at the radical
K>difference in flavor relative to canned tuna. It's hard to believe they are
K>the same food--and also belies the huge difference between RAF and CAF. At
K>least as different as between a baked apple and a fresh one.

K>Many people are also surprised that raw seafood is so _light_ on the
K>stomach, not heavy like nuts or avos at all...and veggies taste all the
K>better as a second course!

Last night I finally bought some fresh yellow-fin tuna at the natural foods
market.  I had been thinking about it a lot since my experience a month
ago.  Again, I shared it with my cat - but my cat, who goes crazy for
canned tuna, showed no interest at all in her portion.  ???  I ignored her
reaction and ate my portion anyway.  The flavor _was_ very different and
the texture was much smoother than I expected.  Again, no digestive upset.
I did get a little hyper-active and stayed up an hour later than usual.  I
just don't know what to attribute that to.  I also bought some salmon,
which did not taste as quite as good to me and is now sliced and aging in
the dehydrator.  My cat ignored it, too.  (Should I listen to her?)

The more raw I try to eat, the more I binge on processed foods.  I crave
something, but I am not sure what.  When I ate potato chips and wine for my
Sunday dinner I realized my eating had become totally irrational.  I have
all of these wonderful fresh whole plant foods available and while they are
still appealing, they aren't satisfying.  I admit I haven't read my books
yet (Severen's and Zephyr's) - but they are toward the top of the pile.
Could someone give me some quick advice on how to determine what I need?  I
am also probably peri-menopausal.

About the flavor change:  I ate an apple that tasted great.  The next one I
spit out.  I went for the third one anyway and it tasted great.  I thought
they were all from the same batch.  How do you know if you are truly
experiencing a taste change or if one bad apple has slipped into the mix?

About bread:  It is so _convenient_.  You grab a few slices and transport
them easily to some other location to eat.  Nothing to spill or make a
sticky mess.  And so readily available prepared by someone else - no time
on your part at all.  What is the equivalent in the raw world?  I like
Elysa Markowitz's rye bread recipe (rye berries, sunflower seeds, and flax
seeds), but I have to soak the ingredients in advance, it is a real mess to
make in my old VitaMix, and it takes a day to dehydrate.  Okay, so make
that question "What is the lazy person's equivalent in the raw world?" :-)

patric

<*> Patricia Rathbone         http://www.unm.edu/~patric
<*> University of New Mexico  [log in to unmask]
<*> Albuquerque, NM, USA      (505) 277-0171

Beyond all that seems to divide us, there is a unity,
and that unity transcends ourselves, our world, and the
distances between the stars.