RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:21:39 -0800
Ellie,

I don't know specifically about those coconut.

Ellie Rotunno wrote:
> A while ago someone, was it you Stefan, mentioned that coconuts from
> Thailand are sometimes injected with sugar. I'm buying young coconuts at
> Chinatown in NYC that are wrapped in a kind of thick white mesh and look
> like little huts, circular with pointed roof. The milk is very delicious,
> sort of sweet. They are from Thailand and labeled S.S.K. Any idea if
> these are injected with sugar.

Being American of Chinese descent, I hate to say it, but some of the
stuff you'll find in Chinatowns here (SF area, Oakland, south SF bay
area) are often the worst if you prefer to eat wild or organic-grown
stuff like I do.  Papaya, pineapple, coconut are going to be imported to
the US from overseas from the cheapest possible source, because Chinese
families can be large and they are fixated on low prices.  This means
produce comes from countries whose agricultural practices may be
different from our own.  Generally, the locally grown fresh greens are
excellent, and some of the locally grown fruit, because often a
shopkeeper will purchase small amounts from a number of home
growers/gardeners, and there ARE no large commercial producers locally
or overseas for some items. Garlic chives, brassica types of greens,
pea-sprout, bean-sprout, loquat, winter-melon (those really large 30-50
lb types, usually sold in smaller 1-3 # pieces) and cabbages often fall
into that category.  Fish is excellent, and usually offered live/fresh
in tanks - you won't get fresher anywhere.  Probably no one will be able
to give you a specific answer about one item like the coconut unless you
speak the same Chinese language the owner/buyer for that shop does, and
then you can ask questions, and then talk to their supplier.

good luck on your continued search for more interesting fruit,
regards,