RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:34:15 +0200
Jean-Claude wrote:

>> Bringing food along with me is
>> far from being inconvenient to me, it is a pleasure in itself to
>> care for myself or my baby. Now I understand that it can be for most people,
>> specially the ones who expect to be taken care of (by restaurants,
>> convenient foods or doctors...). Could this be a remnant of the
>> unfulfilled expectation of baby to be breastfed or nurtured in demand? (see "the
>> continuum concept" of Jean Liedloff).

Perhaps, and perhaps not. Food sharing (and in particular meat
sharing) has been playing an important role in human society since
prehistory (and in chimpanzee society as well). Offering food is part
of hospitality, and refusing food, eating differently (or wearing
different clothes, etc) may be interpreted at first sight as not
willing to take part in the same group.

You say that bringing food along with you is a pleasure in itself:
that's nice to think that way, but doesn't it involve worrying about
food all the time (or very often)? You say that you have been
suffering from food obsession: could that "social" aspect have been
one of the factors?

I find it interesting that even people afflicted with incurable
diseases (like rheumatoid arthritis) are not so inclined to adopt a
too restrictive diet: this may indicate that in their eyes, the
"social" aspect, willing to be "normal" or at least not too different,
surpasses their own health in importance. The Paleolithic diet is
interesting in that it doesn't deviate excessively from "normal"
eating and allows a "normal" social life: it is easy to tell people
that you are allergic to wheat and dairy, and have a steak and/or a
salad and/or rice at the restaurant. Now, insisting on eating raw,
without any kind of preparation or mixings may disturb people; and
eating raw meat in front of others is even more unsettling. The only
things that are missing in the Paleo diet are the insistence on trying
to eat more raw food, and on the quality of the food supply: I think
Jean Seignalet filled these gaps very well.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>