RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheila Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:59:02 -0700
>On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Ellie Rotunno wrote:
>> >I identify with your love of corn, and have just realized I may love it
>>too much because it is somewhat addicting. According to Shiela's recent
>> newsletter about the gut, corn is genetically altered and indegestible. I
>> just read Neanderthin, which also tells me corn is not a natural food.

Sheila:
Just want to give you the Elaine Gottschall perspective on corn. It's a big
no-no in her book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, Intestinal Health through
Diet. While speaking to a group in Tucson she was asked about corn esp the
new breeds. She replied that corn is indigestible. She contacted the
companies that have developed the latest high-tech strains to ask if it
improved the digestibility. She followed up with them 9 times and gave up.
She had to assume it was more indigestible.
Her book is specific for major inflammatory bowel diseases mainly Crohn's,
UC, Celiac, chronic diarrhea, cystic fibrosis, and diverticulosis. It now
has broader application to candida, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, abnormal
brain behavior, abnormal behavior, schizophrenia, bipolarity.
The major culprit in inflammatory bowel disease is complex carbohydrates.
However, most of these individuals are eating the complex sugars cooked and
highly refined.
I've dropped corn off my diet. However, if I feel I want it, I get some and
usually eat 1-2 ears raw in a salad.

>What do you mean by it not being digestible?

I think that would be an interesting question for Elaine. She's a great
communicator. Her fax is 1-905-349-3420.

Kind Regards,
Sheila Shea
http://www.sheilas.com
http://listserv.azstarnet.com/cgi-bin/lwgate/INTEST_HEALTH/