RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:09:06 -0800
Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
>This shows that cooked soybeans are assimilated better than
>raw soybeans, and that the pancreas has to work harder to digest the
>raw soybeans. The reason given is that cooking not only kill enzymes
>but also enzyme inhibitors which are really like negative enzymes.
>Unfortunately there was no study on soaked soybeans.

Tom:
An additional question arises: if cooked food makes for a larger pancreas
(in lab animals), what health significance is there - if any at all - related
to a larger pancreas? The pancreas makes enzymes, which we are told are
important. Would not a larger pancreas be good, then? Interesting question!

My experience with raw soybeans and sprouts is that they are indigestible to
me, and taste really bad. They must be cooked to be eaten. I have heard of
raw tofu, made with 1-2 day old sprouts. The flavor of those is really
bad, so I wonder if raw tofu is really edible.

Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
>I tried soaking flax seeds but they output a sticky mucilage. What
>is this mucilage, should I wash this off and continue try sprouting.
>Would this waist good nutrients. Or should I soak until the mucilage
>comes out and then air dry the whole mess. Ideas?

Tom:
I simply soak flaxseeds overnight in water (in the refrigerator), then blend
them in their soak water. If you want to sprout flaxseeds, it is complicated
by their mucilage. Use the clay saucer method, as described in "The Sprout
Garden" by Braunstein. Take an unglazed clay saucer, set on plate, put seeds
in saucer (thin layer), add water to plate, cover saucer with a second plate.
Add water as needed to the plate (but not the saucer). Uncover saucer
when you want to "green" the sprouts.

I suggest soaking only, not sprouting - EFAs may be eliminated in sprouting,
and you may overeat and get a laxative effect. Flaxseeds can also be  made
into raw crackers.

Regards,
Tom Billings