RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David R. Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 05:18:13 -0400 (EDT)
In a recent post to veg-raw by "Thomas E. Billings" <[log in to unmask]>

> Following a raw or living foods diet can be difficult, given the
> general stress of living in modern times, and the prevalence of junk
> food and cooked food. One is often tempted to take the path of least
> resistance, which is usually junk or processed foods.  Additionally,
> raw and living foods are cleansing diets, which means the body is
> slowly cleansing itself of toxins, which can cause cravings for bad
> foods previously eaten.

Eliminating toxins can also cause symptons such as headaches, cold
signs, and sometimes, a short fuse as far as patience go, from my
experience, adding to the difficulty.

> Direct Action:
[some excellent suggestions on staying raw....]

> If you are hungry for sweet food, eat fruit instead; dried fruit
> is a good substitute for candy. If you are hungry for salty foods, you
> can eat sea vegetables or drink celery juice instead (celery juice with
> a little bit of lemon/lime juice added is delicious and soothing).

Also, keep a bowl of fruit or snacks such as dehydrated zuchini chips
around work and home to remind yourself that there are better snacks
than junk food to be had.

> Indirect Assistance:
[....]
> 6. Have a regular exercise program that is appropriate and suitable for
> you. Exercise reduces stress, improves your health, is cleansing, and
> helps reduce cravings.  Hatha yoga is an excellent form of exercise;
> it has considerable healing power. The meditative forms of tai chi can
> be very helpful also. However, yoga or tai chi won't help if you don't
> do them, so choose an exercise program that appeals to you, and that you
> can follow.

I agree wholeheartingly, a moderate excercise program is very beneficial
when persuing a raw food diet. One note: if you are already on a
strenuous excersise program before switching to a raw food diet, you
make want to make the transition gradually, as I have noted some
athletes have experienced frustration from reduced performances when
initially starting a raw food diet, as their bodies  get used to the
new way of eating. More on transitions and atheletes in another post.

> 7. Develop a spiritual or ethical foundation. For the religious, this
> means being "grounded" in your religion. The non-religious (including
> atheists and agnostics) can adopt or develop a guiding philosophy of
> life, or a system of ethics. The direct benefits of this are in stress
> reduction, which makes one more resistant to cravings.

One thing that has helped me along these lines is assuring myself
that I am simplifying my lifestyle and turning back to the natural
style of living more in accordance with nature - out of all creatures
on this planet, only humans cook their food. Also, I enjoy the
natural "high" from eating raw foods, as opposed to the sometimes
lazy and burdened feeling after eating cooked foods.

> If you do backslide and eat something bad, simply resolve to avoid the
> mistake next time. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on them
> unnecessarily, as guilt is a negative emotion.

Yes, certainly, don't chastise yourself for breaking the diet, but
go forward. Over time, the binges will become less frequent, and
the rewards will reinforce your conviction to persue raw foods.

Other comments on Tom's excellent post ?

Best wishes and health,

David Mayne