RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:10:15
>From:	Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>

>Well said, Bonnie!! Blindly viewing every symptom as a detox
> is one of the big blunders of raw dogmas (NH, instincto, fruitarian, etc.).
> I have heard offruitarians "justifying" their loss of teeth as a
> "cleansing response"!

Don't anybody get me wrong here, & I'm not saying that tooth loss is
a detox thing.  I've messed up my tooth enamel from eating too many
dried and citrus fruits, and I never for a moment thought it was a
cleansing process (& I sure wish I had known then what I know now so
that I didn't mess up my enamel).  But I also know that fruits
(especially the acid & sub-acid fruits) are loaded with excellent
chelating compounds.  A chelator is a chemical which binds to
minerals or metals and which can allow the body to eliminate toxic
metals or minerals.  Research has shown that chelation can extend
lifespan (I undergo chelation therapy, which is usally the IV
administration of the chemical EDTA which allows the body to remove
various minerals and metals including both toxic ones & necessary
ones).  A great deal of the aging process is related to the build-up
of minerals or metals, and calcium is a big culprit in this regard.

So while I know I have messed up my teeth, I don't think that this
has been all bad, because if the compounds in the fruits were
leaching the calcium & phosphorous out my teeth they were also
pulling calcium and far worse out of other tissues where they can
directly impact the aging process.  You have to be careful how you
define health here, and sound teeth may not correlate with other
definitions of health, such as lower cancer incidence (which
chelation clearly brings about) or longer lifespan.

Part of a posting I received today from another list I'm on (quoting
from a newspaper article):

"Study links bone density, breast cancer," page D3, Nov. 6, reported
that postmenopausal women "who had the higest bone-mineral density
were at 2.0 to 2.5 times the risk of breast cancer compared with
women with the lowest bone-mineral."

--Doug Schwartz