RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:16:53 -0700
The material below is re: organic farming practices; it may disturb
some veggie readers.

Note: CCOF is a long-established group of organic farmers in
California.

In the latest "CCOF Magazine", Summer 2003, vol 20, #2, in the
column "Ask Amigo" by Amigo Cantisano, pg. 34, we find:

"Question 1

...How do I control ground squirrels on a certified organic fruit
tree farm? The critters are killing us! Thank you.

Answer 1
I believe the best organic option for controlling ground squirrels
is the use of the propane and oxygen explosive devices as described
in the gopher management article in the Fall 2002 issue of
'The Newsletter of CCOF' (Vol. XIX, No. 3, p. 28 -- archived online
at http://www.ccof.org). The concussive action of the explosion
of a mix of propane aond oxygen is a very effective tool for
controlling ground squirrel populations."

The column includes a contact phone number for a device known
as the "Rodentorch".

I do know someone who had a ground squirrel problem in his
fenced back yard in the San Diego area. He used the "22"
solution -- 22 caliber, that is. He shot the ground squirrels.
No messy gas.

I posted the above to remind readers that what is referred to
as the "collateral death issue" in farming is very real, even if many
veg advocates try to minimize or ignore it. Ground squirrels
are a small part of the problem.

Permission is granted to cross-post this on other lists.
Please be polite and limit such cross-posting to lists where the info is
relevant.

Tom Billings