RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:07:14 +0200
Paul:

>> Is it correct to stress the body a little through exercise, or better to
>> just allow diet, while obviously getting enough movement for circulation,
>> take care of things? Then when one eventually (hopefully) feels really good
>> and strong basically from diet they can step up exercise at that point if
>> one wishes. Any thoughts or experiences?

I think that on the above question, everyone's experience is
different... Here is mine: in 1989-1993, I was doing virtually no
exercise, and was often lacking sleep. I found that my energy level
was steadily decreasing, and most of the time didn't feel good at all
(I was still eating "normally" at that time). I decided to start martial
arts again: karate in 1993, Kung-Fu the next year, and then Tai Chi
Chuan the following year. Each time, I experienced a tremendous
benefit, higher than what I previously got with walking or running. I
have never stopped since then, except last summer: instead, I jogged
with a friend, one hour twice a week. Not only this didn't seem to
improve my health at all, but also I injured both knees
(tendinitis). Apart from martial arts, I enjoy swimming, but rarely do
because I don't like the chlorine in swimming pools, and I don't live
near the seashore. The conclusions I draw from my experience (that
might not necessarily correspond to other's experiences) are:

1. Exercise regularly, several times a week.

2. For a healthy young person: do not exercise intensely more than two
hours a day. That upper limit is of course reduced for sick or older
people.

3. Do not exercise intensely every day. Allow your body at least one
or two days of rest each week.

4. Do not practice only vigorous exercise, and do not practice only
gentle exercise (exceptions: elderly, disabled, sick people, etc).

5. Stretch all parts of your body (especially legs and back). This has
a relaxing effect.

6. Walk and spend as much time outdoors as possible. For short
distances, do not use your car if possible.

7. Exercise has to be pleasant, otherwise you won't be motivated to do
it regularly.

8. Not all people will benefit from the same kinds of exercise. Some
prefer mountain bike, others like weightlifting, or yoga...

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>

P.S. I've visited your homepage: nice!