RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:15:44 +0100
Wes:
> Well, these vitamin loss numbers variate. It all depends on what your
> source of reference is. How is it that you're so sure that your source
> is right? And, vitamin losses depend on method of cooking, time, and
> temperature.

Well, surely your % for B vitamins was obtained for something heated
at 600 F for 20 hours.

> And, I already did give a couple studies to show that amino acids are
> destroyed via cooking. I suppose I could dole out a few more, if I had
> the motivation to do it and were determined to try to keep proving
> things to you.

Amino acids (especially lysine) are destroyed by MAILLARD MOLECULES,
which are formed during cooking. These compounds appear in greatest
amounts in foods that are rich in protein AND carbohydrate, like wheat
products or dairy. The effect on lysine availability in meat is
negligible.

BTW, do you know that egg whites are one of the favorite foods of
bodybuilders? (Because that's lean protein.)

> Grilled bread??

Oops, I probably made a mistake here. Would the correct English
expression be "toasted bread"?

> And a cooked egg seems pretty unnatural doesn't it?

What is natural in humans? Could you survive naked in the jungle?

> Mind telling me why one should/would cook it?

Perhaps because one doesn't like the taste of raw egg whites?

> Anything to demonstrate that a cooked egg is somehow better than a
> raw one?

And could you prove the contrary?

> Is this like a bragging contest? "Who's had more raw experience?" Kind
> of like, "who's schlong is bigger?" :)

Funny word. Not in my dictionary, but I think I can guess the meaning.

> raw potatoes. No lie. I guess each tongue is different. After all, I
> wouldn't dare touch a rotting dead animal body (euphemism for "aged
> meat") for example...

Do you mean "aged meat" is an euphemism for "rotting dead animal
body"? Do you also think "ripe fruit" is an euphemism for "rotting
dead plant matter"?

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>