RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:13:11 -0500
> BTW, what does this telomere thing prognosticate for OUR lifespans?  MJ

That 99.9% of humans can't live beyond 124.5 years. No, I'm kidding...

There is no precise answer. The telomere thing explains why human cells
at birth can divide on average 50 times (embryo cells about 100 times).
These figure can be compared to those for other animals to give a rough
idea of how it is correlated with longevity. If humans could live 1000
years, telomeres would need to be much longer.

Now, could humans live 150 years (could have Jeanne Calment's mother
survived to her)? I don't know, but I doubt so, given the degree of
physical degeneration of 120 year-old people. Clearly, long-time
raw-fooders don't look younger than their age (my uncle eats cooked, but
looks 20 years younger than G.C. Burger who has the same age).

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis