RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ben Odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:10:14 -0500
Aaron wrote:
>It is an ancient secret, but I have gained permission from the elders to
tell
>you how I dry the meats...

(ben smirking)

>I started to wonder about bacteria, etc...

My thoughts exactly.  I'm not necessarily worried about health risks from
bacteria; but here in Texas, at 95% humidity, I'm sure that molds, etc would
pop up quickly on foods left outdoors.  I simply do not find that attractive
on my food, whether or not it's harmful/beneficial to my health.

>That's it.  I keep 'em in until they're nice and dry, then store in plastic
>bags.

If you don't mind me asking, how long does it usually take to make your
jerky?

>I can't say that I can yet differentiate the differences except for water
>desires after the dried meat.

Well, I hope that I do well on the dried meats.  Providing they jive with my
digestive system, I think they will be a great help to me at work/school
where I typically cannot bring my raw foods and dig in.  I have purchased a
moderate parallel dehydrator and am looking forward to experimenting with
it.

Also, do you marinade the meats in any oils, spices before drying them?

just a jerky Texas boy,

Ben