RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:15:50 -0600
Gerry,

>  --Dr. David Scott, perhaps THE Guru of Natural Hygiene worldwide, does
> prescribe raw egg yolk for the rare person whose cholesterol is too low. (At
> one time mine was, and after all my conditioning re: animal products, I was
> repulsed at the thought, though I had gobbled them in the past before I 're-
> educated' myself. Fortunately my cholesterol came up to acceptable levels and
> I didn't have to consume them.)

Actually this goes beyond eggs... It seems that vegans are in some
health jeopardy at least long term? And eating eggs regularly actually
helps reduce cholesterol levels...

Some substances in animal protein that we may need to obtain via diet in
small amounts so as to avoid potentially destructive deficencies:
vitamin B-12, arachidonic acid, EPA, DHA, highly bioavailable complete
protein, and perhaps sufficient zinc, and possibly some other factors
yet unknown to science at present.

> --Yes, I am a vegan.
> I once consumed all raw for over a year and rid myself of life-threatening
> diseases once I learned how to fine tune, but because I had trouble gaining
> weight and getting past the zombie state (due to the severity of my past
> health problems) I started consuming grains. Got addicted to cooked food
> again.

My thoughts re: weight -- typical reasons for weight loss, emaciation,
and the like with 100% raw diets are: 1) lack of sufficient calories, 2)
too much fruit (a breakdown/cleansing food), 3) no animal protein, 4)
lack of starches.

My thoughts re: "zombie state" as you put it -- this can also be
referred to as being too "expansive". Basic reason for this is an
imbalance in contractive/expansive energies. If one eats too much fruit
and salads, one will tend to get too expansive, spaced out, and
"zombied". This can be rectified by eating more contractive (grounding)
foods, such as: nuts, seeds, avocados, tubers, roots, grains, and
especially some animal protein.
Actually, each food has specific characteristics energetically -
contractive/expansive, warming/cooling, buildup/breakdown, etc...

> For the record, I do become a much more centered, wiser and more understanding
> and tolerant person when I stick to the all raw, especially if there are a lot
> of calming greens in my diet. Not easy to do, however. Fruit is so easy and so
> tempting.

Yes, fruit can be addicting, for sure. However, I personally have
gravitated towards using less fruit. This is good in a lot of ways, and
helps balance blood sugar levels as well... I've learned is that a
couple of big reasons raw foodists crave so much fruit, especially sweet
fruits, is because they are a) deficient in complex carbs, and b)
lacking in animal protein. The raw "sweet tooth" syndrome can be largely
attributed to those two factors. Eating complex carbs and animal protein
takes away a lot of the desire to eat all that sweetness and more
simpler carbohydrates... When we're more nourished, and getting what we
biologically need, we have little if any desire to go heavy on the
fruits.

Wes