RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chet Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:35:27 +0000
Jean-Louis:
> Gosh, I didn't have the courage to do more than skimming through your lengthy
> article loaded with emotions and with a low concentration of information.

Chet:
Actually, I'd counter that admidst the emotive appeal (which was
purposely done), one also finds a pretty intense concentration of
factual information. But of course one has to actually read the piece
rather than skimming it to unearth the info.

Jean-Louis:
> OK, there is the story of E. Coli, but it concerns only GROUND steaks.

Chet:
 I believe E.coli does not limit itself to living in ground
meat, though the Hudson recall did focus on that variety of flesh.
Are you suggesting E.coli only exists in ground flesh?

Jean-Louis:
> Animals are fed with what humans would consider as garbage.
> But how many percents of their diet does it constitute?

Chet:
I don't know for sure. Any percent seems too much to me.  I would
assume it depends on the cattleman. One man who feeds his cattle a
mixture of chicken manure and alfalfa uses what I consider a
remarkably significant percentage of litter.

Jean-Louis:
> And what about saying that humans eat that in turn? Plants also get nutrients
> from (transformed forms of) dead animals, no?

Chet:
I'm just starting to research this, but apparently American-produced
commerical fertilizer these days contains significant heavy metals
and other chemical contaminants as well as products from the
rendering industry.

Jean-Louis:
> I had that info about organic meats in France, but it would be difficult for me
> to translate. For those who can read french, see

> http://sesame.mathp6.jussieu.fr/~tu/elevage.html

> In short: mostly grass (for cows). In addition, various concentrated foods based
> on different grains/seeds, minerals (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sulphur),
> oligo-elements (iron, iodine, cobalt, copper...), and some supplements (seaweed,
> plant extracts, extracts of fish, cod liver oil, coal powder...).
> Water has the same standards than those for human consumption.

> When/if I find a time and a dictionary, I will try to translate the information
> I have.

Chet:
No problem... the answer you provided I find satisfactory. I'm
mainly curious about the "organic" meat industry in the U.S. We have
far less restrictive standards than in Europe. I personally believe
something very akin to "mad cow" phenomena seen in the United
Kingdom will in the next ten years have an equally ugly step-child
here in the U.S.

Chet

Learn God's Way to Ultimate Health at Hallelujah Acres Online:
http://hacres.com