RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:17:49 -0800
For me, the best part of the statistics article was what Tom was
describing when he wrote

> Consider that part of the problem is that scientific research,
> when reported in the popular press, often bears little resemblance
> to the papers as written in the actual journals. Further, there are
> a lot of sick people, who are "hungry" for a cure or healing, and
> who will latch on to anything that gives them hope. The result of
> such an environment may be unrealistic expectations, combined with
> inaccurate information on the new therapy. Needless to say, this
> is a potentially dangerous situation.

The way research results are altered for public consumption, either
because of time or space constraints or the assumed inability of the
general public to understand anything more complex than a Frosted
Flakes commercial, is a major source of confusion.  When the problem
of sloppy science is added to that, it should come as no surprise
that, for example, a disturbingly large percentage of Americans
believe all fats to be harmful.

Carol