RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Labedz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 19:32:16 -0500
Hi Rene!

I just finished a book (Protein Power by a husband and wife team, both
M.D.'s, named Eades) which states that the aboriginal people of Australia
ate/eat a diet which is very high in animal prducts (64%!).  They evidently
have been/are being  studied by a physician there, a Dr. Kerin O'Dea.  He
took a group of urbanized aborigines who had gotten sick on the rich Western
diet and had them live in the bush for 7 weeks supposedly eating snails,
turtles, kangaroo, crocodiles, crickets,etc.  (One wonders how an urbanized
person could adapt to such a lifestyle and horror-filled diet, much less
learn  how to catch all those poor creatures in a time span as short as 7
weeks!)  Anyway, of course, his point is that all their illnesses improved
greatly in this period of time.  Well, probably such an awful diet is more
health producing that the Standard Australian Diet, if indeed it is a
destructive as the Standard American Diet.   Is it?  I find the whole thing
very hard to believe, have you ever heard about this study?  No doubt many
primitive peoples had varying amounts of animal meat or eggs in their diet
but 64%!?!

At any rate, I found parts of the book very interesting.  It's similar to The
Zone by Barry Sears but I found it much more clearly written.  The part in
which he says that our high carbohydrate diet causes hyperinsulinemia and all
kinds of other blood sugar and cardiovascular diseases got my attention.  I
doubt everyone can handle a high carb diet.  What I've changed is that I'm
eating more nuts, non-starchy vegetables and what I call veggie-fruits (red
or orange peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, etc. which are low in carbs) and less
sweet fruit and frankly I feel much more energetic and am sleeping better.  I
still eat a small amount of steamed veggies,  grains and/or tofu in for
dinner, otherwise all raw.  My grandmother was diabetic, and since I had
periods of feeling so unbelieveably hypoglycemic and tired after eating fruit
only all morning for years,  I decided to  do some reading on blood sugar,
insulin, hypoglycemia, etc.

At any rate, for the curious and skeptical, I recommend reading these two
books.  I certainly don't agree with anything remotely like everything they
say (it's hard to take seriously folks who recommend for health meat, butter,
cheese, etc.!, although they do also recommend lots of veggies)  but Sears
and the Eades do make some apparently valid points from which folks like us
could learn.  It's funny how every expert has a piece of the whole health
puzzle.  We don't even know how many pieces total the puzzle has (probably
scintillions!) yet we keep trying to put it together.  I imagine I have a
tool box (a friend gave me this image) and from each book I read, or tape or
lecture I hear, I usually find something to put in my toolbox.

Yours, or anyone else's response is most welcome.

Smiles,

Sandy