RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
Kate L (for Lychee) Pugh <[log in to unmask]>:
>The oats are not really raw, they're the 4-minute porridge stuff, but I
>had a huge bag to use up and my husband doesn't like them. I would like
>suggestions on how I can make sure that the next bag I buy is raw and
>whole. Also if I will find them edible done in this way!

Tom:
You can buy whole (hulled) oats, which are raw, and soak them overnight
(in the refrigerator) before using in recipes. They are versatile, and
in some ways are a raw "rice replacement". I have tasted a number of *raw*
macrobiotic dishes, made with raw soaked oats in place of the cooked
rice. Tasty, but too salty for me to eat much of! As you have never tried
them this way before, I would suggest buying a small amount - 1 kg or less
and experimenting. Oats are very cheap, so it should not cost much.

Kate L (for Lychee) Pugh <[log in to unmask]>:
>What are the opinions on dried fruit? And wheatgerm? Is the wheatgerm
>giving me any nutrients that I am unlikely to get otherwise?

Tom:
Raw wheatgerm tastes awful. You could disguise the flavor with honey or
other sweetener. Dried fruits are 'controversial' in that some people
use them, while others consider them inappropriate food. I would only
point out that dried fruit is extremely high in sugar, and should be
used cautiously - in moderation.  It is easy to get addicted to dried
fruit, especially dates. Most dried fruit can be soaked to make it
easier to digest; also unsoaked dried fruit can cause flatulence.

Kate L (for Lychee) Pugh <[log in to unmask]>:
>I would like to try and get Rob (hubby) round to having one rawish supper
>a week (raw for me with additions for him). The other nights will have to
>stay cooked, as if I am having something that he really doesn't want then
>he will buy meat and eat that (against my moral principles; I want to
>discourage his meat-eating).
>
>So what I'd like from you is some comments on the above, plus some
>suggestions for making raw meals appeal to someone who is basically into
>lots of substantial, strongly-flavoured, cooked food. And some suggestions
>for me not getting bored of my packed lunches. (I don't think I'll ever
>get bored with my muesli ;-) )

Tom:
I have some recipe book 'reviews' in my archive and will eventually pull those
from the archives and post them here. There are a lot of raw recipe books
around, some with very fancy recipes in them. You might want to get some
of those books, and experiment - it can be fun!

You can use spices (most of which are raw), to add flavor to meals. The local
'Raw Restaurant' uses spices heavily, and their food is popular. Spices
provide an interesting contrast. If you cook with spices, you tend to
overeat the cooked food. Adding raw spices to raw food, however, actually
reduces the amount of raw food I can eat, because the spices are just so
strong. (The experience of others may differ on this point.) The strongest
taste change I have ever experienced in my life, came when I added a small
amount of white peppercorns to my mung bean sprouts. The food went from
tasty to literally impossible to eat, in just a few bites!

Regards,
Tom Billings