RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 13:29:40 -0500
>I am new to this list and new to raw eating, especially animal products,
and would >appreciate knowing what you eat and how you keep it safe,
especially the raw animal >products.

Hi Virginia, regarding the safety of eating raw animal foods (RAF) so long
as I am getting products that are both fresh and of high quality, I choose
not to worry.  I believe that the benefits clearly outweigh any possible
down sides of eating these foods. Fresh raw meat and fish I find last
easily 3-4 days in the fridge.  If you are concerned with bacteria from raw
meat, avoid buying it ground up and before eating it, gently sear each side
of the meat for a minute or two in a pan with a little water. An effective
way of getting rid of parasites in fish is to leave the fish in the freezer
for a few days. Some people soak their meats/fish in solutions of hydrogen
peroxide or grapefruit seed extract but everything is a trade-off, and I
would be concerned that this would kill off any beneficial microbes as well.

So I can better address your concerns, please tell me a bit about your diet
and what your experience has been so far with eating RAF.

Best, Peter