RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 20:32:16 -0600
Ben:
>Dr. Price was a dentist/doctor/anthropologist who did many extensive research
>studies on primitive, raw diets, including many raw animal products.
>Through his research and clear studies of a number of primitive cultures, he
>found that there were plenty of cultures who lived without chronic illness,
>enjoying almost perfect health and vitality.  He demonstrated that in all
>instances, raw animal foods were integral to this formula of health.
>Although the original volume "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Price
>is out of print, "Traditional Foods are your Best Medicine" by Schmid
>details the work of Price.  Highly recommended.

The virtues of different kinds of raw foods are mentioned but in neither
book have I found any reference to raw animal foods being an integral
formula to health. I am not a thorough reader but as I remember the
arguments of both authors, they see a lack of unprocessed foods as being
the main reason why some cultures seem to have avoided most of the
degenerative diseases that have so swept the modern world.

>Agreed, Peter.  I have a very high motivation to obtain some land of my own,
>so I might provide a percentage of my own home-grown organic food.

Sounds great, but in the mean time I am curious to what are the sources of
raw foods you are sustaining yourself on.

>I sympathize with your concerns but I must maintain my ideas about parasites
>and bacteria.  They have a job to do:  to destroy dead matter in bodies.

If this were true it would be beneficial to seek out and eat parasites for
cleansing purposes. However, until the beneficial microbe theory has gained
some more recognition, I think that I will pass on this option and make
efforts to avoid the critters. ;-)

>I may sound like a broken record, but there are many well-regarded scientists
>who have different ideas than the standard "germ theory."  That is to say,
>that a parasite or bacterium will not destroy healthy tissue, but it will
>rather perform its function of cleaning dead or damaged tissue from our
>bodies.

This is another theory that I am very fond of.  However, (correct me if I
am wrong) I am not sure that there is much actual research to back it up.

>I know that is a very "blanket statement," but I think science (not
>medical monopolies) has shown us that bacteria exist in different states
>(pleomorphic); they coexist in harmony in our bodies, and change function as
>the need arises (as in common colds, etc.)

Even in alternative health circles the existence of pleomorphism is
questioned.  What convinced you that these different bacterial stages
actually exist?

>I accept that many others have differing opinions, but I personally feel
>that the "germ" or "contagious" theory is just a scare tactic to push us
>into an endless cycle of vaccination, antibiotics, and other drugs that will
>never benefit our long-term health one bit.  Simply trying to kill
>everything in our food to avoid disease is much like shooting a crowing
>rooster to stop the sun from coming up.

I agree with your sentiment but the fact that much of the medical
establishment's attitude to microbes is based on fear and superstition,
does not in itself mean that these organisms cannot be harmful to humans
even in an optimal state of intercellular terrain.

>I repeat, I am by no means an authority in the matter.  If you want to
>examine all of this for yourself, I strongly recommend it.  MUCH is written
>on these topics, but you won't find it on the news, in good housekeeping
>magazine, or on the TV, because it's not an idea that "sells," it's just the
>truth.

I wish I had the time.  If you feel inspired please do not pass on giving
us a synopsis of these very challenging ideas.

>It is a miracle to me that nature can truly restore my health.  Every raw
food plays >it's part: The raw fruit cleanses me, the raw vegetables
provide nutrients and flavor,
>the raw fish provides nourishment to my nervous system, the raw fat from
>butter, beef, and plant oils lubricates, it fuels my body, and strengthens
>my muscles.  Stomach ulcers have vanished, insomnia disappeared.  Although I
>am no picture of perfect health yet, my progress from debilitating illness
>has amazed my peers (and myself).

You are a true inspiration and I hope you will keep us posted on your
progress.  Unfortunately, the high, raw fat diet you are on does not work
for everybody especially those with severe conditions.  A friend of a
friend of mine who had been on it for six months recently died from the
complications of a cancer tumor and another person, also with cancer, who
has been doing it strictly for a similar period of time is just barely
hanging in.

Best, Peter