RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:45:31 -0400
Hi everyone -

I have stayed away from carrots for the last few years because the glycemic
index research shows them to lead to a rapid, substantial blood sugar spike
and associated insulin response when eaten alone, higher even than sweet
fruits like bananas and raisins. Interestingly, other
root vegetables that have been evaluated also show a high index, for ex.,
beets and parsnips. A few years ago, I hunted down the original research to
see whether there were obvious methodological problems, but none were
apparent, at least to me. Still, I have not known how seriously to take the
glycemic index stuff. Has anyone else looked into this?

david