RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 00:49:15 EST
On Fri, 15 Nov 96 12:05:00 PST "Roy P D'Souza"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I'm interested in finding out if there is a glycemic index for fruit
>that would help select those that would minimize overflow of this
>glycogen reserve pool.

There's a partial chart in Ward's M2M, issue #18, p. 64, and some
additional info in #20 p. 10, but it's more tantalizing than complete.
There is some data on the Internet.  Try searching on "Glycemic Index".

>I suspect that fruit such as cucumbers, tomatoes and avocadoes would
>have lower indices than sweet fruit such as persimmons.

The intuition can be deceptive on this one.  I would guess the same
thing, but tomatoes are only slightly below apples and oranges at a GI of
38 (glucose=100,;sucrose, table sugar, =59; fructose, fruit sugar, =20,
as a reference).
I don't have data on cukes and avos.  Avos may be higher than you think.

>What about tubers? would one classify carrots and sweet potatoes as
>more like veggies or fruit?

Some roots and tubers are high, some not.  White potato and carrot are
very high (carrot=92), but sweet potato = 51.  Beets are very high.  Wish
I had a better chart.  All greens are low, most fruits high, especially
dried fruits, watermelon, pineapple, banana.  Low GI fruits are peaches,
plums, cherries, grapefruit.  Grapes are intermediate.  All nuts and
seeds are very low.  As a rule of thumb, cooking doubles the GI of most
foods.

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])