RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roy D'Souza ~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:52:32 -0800
The December issue of Yoga Journal has an article on Rickson Gracie,
one of the Gracie brothers from Brazil, famous for never having lost
a single no-holds-barred fight with martial artists worldwide
in over fifty years. [see footnote 1]

The focus of the article is Rickson's yoga practice. The last
paragraph mumbles something about his unusual diet. I have heard
from various Gracie sources that they are raw foodists of varying
levels. They seem to have been influenced by NH. I think some of
them may be raw foodists by our definition. I do know that their
stamina is phenomenal, and their skill unmatched world wide
in several full-contact no-holds-barred competitions (UFC, Extreme,
Pancrase, Vale Tudo, etc..)  Clearly the diet hasn't hurt :-)

Perhaps Helio from Brazil has heard about them and can shed some
light?

Regards,

RoyD

[Footnote 1: Helio Gracie, the patriarch of the family, lost the
only fight about 50 years ago, to Kimura, the then reigning Japanese
national Judo champion. Since Kimura was almost twice as heavy as
Helio, it was agreed before hand that if the fight lasted more than
10 minutes, the victor would be Helio. The fight was stopped after
three hours, after Kimura broke Helio's arm. Helio protested and
wanted to continue, but was overruled.]