RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 08:59:35 -0700
The book, "Bonobo: The Forgotten Ape", is the latest work of Frans Lanting. He
is one of the best wildlife photographers in the world, and his work often
appears in 'National Geographic' magazine.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone on the list has seen the book, and would
consider writing a review, or just giving their impressions of the book.
In particular, I'm curious if the book shows bonobos eating meat (bonobos,
like chimps, are omnivores). My curiosity is motivated because many
fruitarians still insist that "apes are fruitarians", despite massive
evidence to the contrary. Actual photgraphic evidence is good, as per
the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words".

On a related note, when you discuss ape diet with some zealots, they try to
change the focus by pointing out that mountain gorillas are vegans (though they
eat mostly leaves, not fruit). While browsing a database the other day, I
happened to find an article describing the occasional, deliberate consumption
of insects (ants) by juvenile mountain gorillas. I can probably re-locate
that if anyone here is interested.

Regards,
Tom Billings