RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:09:40 -0700
Loren:
>My experience over 14 years, 8 of them strictly raw vegan, and the
>experience of the many people I have counseled over that time informs
>me far more than anything I learned studying nutrition.

Tom:
Are you saying that "science is cooked"? That is a hallmark of the
fake
raw diet gurus.

Loren:
>It matters not to me whether you believe anything I say or not.  However,
>for those of you open minded enough to consider something outside of your
>own limited belief system, you may want to get your own experience.
>
>Not only is gaining lost weight back not rare, it happens to everyone who
>stays on a raw vegan diet long enough.  If overweight when you start, which
>is true for most people, you will not go back to the same weight.  The vast
>majority of people will lose a significant amount of weight, and then
>rebuild with healthier tissue, adding weight back on in the process.

Tom:
If you read my bio at:
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/bio/billings-t-bio-1a.shtml

You will find that I probably have more experience in raw diets than
you do. I have seen many folks unable to gain back lost weight, or
who gain back only a tiny amount and are still quite emaciated. These
folks often leave raw vegan for a diet that works for them, and then
raw
advocates like yourself deny their experiences.

Loren:
>Humans are not omnivores, they, like all other anthropoid primates, are
>frugivores, who are designed to eat fruit and leafy greens.  Gorillas don't
>get their incredible strength eating meat, and we don't need it either.
>
>A simple study of comparative physiology will show you that we share our
>digestive system with the other primates, almost exactly the same.
>Omnivorous animals have specific adaptations to their diet which we don't
>share.  And omnivores eat the whole animal, not just the muscle.
>
>You are certainly entitled to your opinions, Tom, but I don't think they
>are serving you very well.

Tom:
It is obvious that you have not read the article:
Comparative  Anatomy and Physiology Brought Up To Date, at:
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-1a.shtml

If you actually read it, you will find it to be a long, throroughly
researched, heavily referenced paper that destroys the false myth that
humans are natural vegans/frugivores/fruitarians. I encourage you to
read it, as you have nothing to lose but your false misconceptions.
(By the way, the above paper does list a number of specific
adaptations
that indicate that humans are omnivores.)

And yes, I don't believe for even a second that you or any other
"expert" thrives on only 1000 calories per day. The claim you make
is a hallmark of fakes.

Tom Billings