RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 14:27:54 -0600

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE CONTAINS DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT A COOKED AND HIGHLY ADDICTIVE
SUBSTANCE. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

I was at another party (oy, what a partier I've become!). And this nice guy
offered me a cup of coffee that was made from a simple method of cold water
infusion. It was mild tasting (but not weak). It was far less bitter and
acidic tasting than regular brewed coffee. He said that this form of coffee
didn't bother his stomach. He then explained the technique.

I debated with myself whether or not this is relavent to raw fooders. But I
rationalized: if anyone is trying to cut back on coffee or wants a milder
coffee beverage that is less cooked, this might be helpful. If you have
managed to quit coffee, this is no reason to start again!! It may be a bit
like a caffeine patch.

His measurements were very rough. Put about 8 oz of coarsely ground coffee
beans (or you can just use crappy coffee from a can) into a large jar (the
jar he showed me held 50 oz of water). Then put cold water into the jar. He
said it was visually like 3:1  -water:coffee. Then put it in the refrig for
3 days. Strain it with a coffee filter (or a paper towel) in a collinder.
THIS liquid you are left with is the COFFEE CONCENTRATE. You then put some
(I don't know how much) of this concentrate in a cup (those of you who are
still so enclined might put your cream and honey) then add some hot water.

This jar of concentrate keeps for many days (I don't know how many). But I
don't know if it requires refrigeration (anybody here know?).

Jon