RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 02:48:39 -0400
A while back Susan Carmack asked why the Hunzas were so healthy. I asked
the question on the PaleoFood list. Here is a reply, and a follow-up:

Date:    Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:56:17 +0100
Sender: Paleolithic Eating Support List <[log in to unmask]>
From:    Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Hunza Health Secrets

>Whole wheat is used in Hunza cooking. Perhaps the wheat of the Hunza people
>is low gluten that they live so long?
>They also use milk products.

>From what I have read, the story of the Hunza, like that of the Georgians,
looks more like a myth than scientific data. There was a doctor who had
been working there and who could not confirm their proposed longevity. When
I find his writings or recall his name I will let you know.

As for the Georgians, there was a group of Swedish gerontoligists, one of
whom was a dietician, who travelled around there interviewing authorities
and general people. Their findings suggest that the statements of the
Georgians becoming particularly old rest on very uncertain grounds. The
notion that some people are 130 or 150 years old are firmly disclaimed by
Georgian authorities today.

One possible source of bias is that sons took over the identity of their
fathers at wartimes in order to appear to old to be drafted. Another
explanation is that Joseph Stalin - who was born in the Georgian town of
Gori - wanted to create a myth about the Georgians of being genetically
superior. He therefore gave medals or money to 100 year old persons, and
when this became generally known many old people came from the mountains to
recieve their awards - which they apparently did without having to
demonstrate their true ages.

A third possible explanation is that muslims in the mountains traditionally
split time in periods of 25 years. When a boy is born his father carves a
sign in the shaft of the boy's dagger, and an equal sign is carved when
each new 25-year period begins. One carving to much - by mistake or
deliberately - could eventually make him 125 instead of 100.

There are plenty of myths in the magic world of humans. Let them be what
they are: nice tales by the fire.

Staffan Lindeberg M.D. Ph.D. Dept of Community Health Sciences, Lund
University, Mailing address: Dr Staffan Lindeberg, Primary Health Care
Centre, Sjobo, S-22738 Sweden, +46 416 28140, Fax +46 416 18395
<[log in to unmask]> http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/lindeberg/
------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:04:11 -0700
Sender: Paleolithic Eating Support List <[log in to unmask]>
From:    Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>

Just as Stefansson was taken in by the Hunza story in "Cancer Disease of
Civilization" (and I was taken in by myths of sex on the internet) others
(including S. Boyd Eaton M.D.)have been influenced by the more recent
story of the Tsaday in the Philipine Islands.  These turned out to be
actors hired by the head Anthropologist of the Phillipines (a relative of
Imelda Marcos).  These "Tsaday" were alleged to be vegetarian gatherers
but were actually recruited from local farmers.

Ray Audette