RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Erika & OfeK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 22:32:14 +0200
David:

According to Rebecca Wood in "The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia,"
(publ.
1999) "Sesame seeds are a remarkable source of calcium, but this
calcium,
which is bonded with oxalic acid, is not bioavailable. Soaking the
seeds
overnight and then toasting them reduces their oxalic acid content.
While
hulling the seeds actually eliminates the oxalic acid, it also
eliminates
most of the calcium. Moreover, hulled sesame seeds lose their fiber
and
calcium oxalate, and much of their postassium, iron, and vit. A and
B6,
folacin, and thiamine. If the hulls are removed with caustic alkali
rather
than mechanically, the nutrient loss is even greater. There is some
concern
that consuming whole sesame will adversely affect calcium reserves,
Current
scientific thought - and years of gastronomic experience - indicate
that
whole sesame enjoyed in moderation will not interfere with calcium
absorption in healthy individuals." She concludes that "the whole seed
is
the healthful choice."

Hope this helps answer your question.

Erika