RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Jerry Knox BA, DC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:56:28 EDT
<< >Are you considering taking supplements?
 I just had an old bottle of vitamins around and was confused. I eat all raw
 and am interested in getting all the vitamins etc. from food.
 I am leary of supplements because what are they really made of? And they
 are cooked, no?

vitamins can be interesting. Yes if they are heated above 115 degrees
farhenheit, the protiens can change shape, making them harmful rather than
helpful.  They are also sensitive to light, storage conditions and time.  As
well there are many forms and combinations and benefits. It is difficult to
repeat this in a pill. Most drug store varieties are heated, artificial and I
am leary of them.  Some simple ones like vitamin C, is vitamin C, it doesnt
change shape and cheap sources are as good as the expensive ones, but this is
an exception.  And vitamin C in a natural environment is much much more potent
than just pure vitamin C. In nature vitamin C comes with a comlex of other
things from your food that make it work better.  Most vitamins do require
special handling, and old ones--- thow them away, they rot, degenerate etc.,
and can make you sick.

And I agree. I grew up in a Medical family and was a good pill taker--- the
American model of health, a pill for everything. I even continued this as an
alternative doctor. However, when I became a living foods vegan, eating no
cooked foods all signs of deficiency disappeared. No colds, no problems of any
sort for years at a time, so I dont take any supplements unless I were to
develope a specific problem, for which artificial care might be needed. For
example diabetics need artificial insulin. Some people may have specific
deficiency syndromes that need supplementation, like B12 deficiency in people
using antibiotics periodicly or taking it with milk or animal products.

thanks

Jerry