RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
arjen hoekstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:11:34 -0800
Hi Jo,

I would like to respond to your last post with a few
remarks:

Jo:
"I am male of 42. Dang it, I may have to change my
name."

Oops! Sorry Jo: I know a woman with the name Jo, so
that is why I assumed you were female. Now I know that
the name can apply to a man as well.

Jo:
"You'll just have to trust me when I tell you that for
all the time and effort (12 years) I put into making
the raw vegan diet work, the results were nonetheless
largely dismal for the long run."

With all due respect Jo, but I will have a hard time
to trust you on that if you didn't even take any B12
supplements during that time. It is like Gary said:
your failure on raw vegan might be totally due to B12
deficiency.
As I explained in my previous posts, I believe our
original diet to be mainly frugivorous with some
greens and maybe some invertebrates. With greens I
basically mean wild plants, including the roots. So if
you are raw vegan, take no B12 supplement and clean
your fruit and veggies too well, you most likely will
develop a B12 deficiency. If raw food vegan still
doesn't work for you then, you might want to include
some insects to your diet. But vertebrate meat is in
my opinion definitely not part of our biological
make-up! I know that modern fruits are manipulated in
such a way that their nutritional properties have
changed a lot, but I still believe that you are doing
your body more harm with eating meat that doesn't
support your biological make-up. If "modern" raw vegan
doesn't work, you need to do more foraging and eat
more foods in their wild stage.

Jo:
"Make sure your concern for the environment is
balanced with an honest appraisal of your own body
ecology."

Thanks for your concern Jo. In my opinion I am doing
that by eating what my biological make-up supports.

Jo:
"To me it is not a matter of feeling stronger. I AM
stronger when eating RAF."

Feeling stronger and being stronger don't exclude each
other! I still think my comparison with taking
steroids is perfectly valid: you are stronger, but it
will affect your health in a negative way in the long
run!

Jo:
"I wonder if a junk food diet from childhood might
affect gamete quality which would then affect
fertility. And you still haven't specified your
version of a "health conscious" person."

A health conscious person can be anything you want it
to be, excluding a junk food eater. We can all observe
that the junk food eating families have a higher
reproductive rate than virtually any other
socio-economic class, for whatever reason that might
be. But honestly, I don't think this part of the
discussion is extremely interesting. I only came up
with the example of junk food eating to show that WHEN
NATURAL SELECTION STILL WOULD WORK in our modern
society, you can expect a specific outcome. I did this
to make clear how natural selection can perform it's
work. However, I have mentioned several times in my
posts that humans have effectively cancelled out most
natural selection. This applies extremely strong to
modern society, where people with the weakest health
are kept alive with high tech tools and are still even
able to breed.

Take care, Arjen

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1