RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martha Seagoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:06:55 -0800
Hi Stuart,

>I have learned that the  higher primates we are such close siblings to,
>all eat some small portion of  animal foods as part of their diet.

As much as I wish I could, I can't argue with you here.  Still, as far as I
know (and I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong) none of these hunts
down large animals, even larger than themselves.  Many eat insects and
some chimps even eat small monkeys.  A little too close to cannibalism
for my comfort.

>And of course I've realized that whatever  our ancient ancestory, in
>the meantime, we've eaten a whole schwack of meat  and that must
>have had some small changes in the way our body uses food.
But it doesn't in any way indicate that our bodies are better off with
meat.

>So while I don't take any pleasure in imagining myself hunting wild
>animals, I  wouldn't doubt if there isn't some very small voice in our
>bodies asking for a  bit of meat now and again.
I don't plan to go hunting anytime soon, either.  But if I were ever to
decide I wanted some meat, I'd rather hunt for some small animal (or
catch a fish) than patronize some factory farm.  Maybe I'd go after that
rabbit that's been invading my vegetable garden.  Until then, I'm happily
vegetarian