RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:10:31 -0800
fred patenaude <[log in to unmask]>:
>The strong vegan
>position of NFL may contratict with meat eating fad

Tom:
The reality that chimps are omnivores and humans are natural omnivores
contradicts the recent fad called veganism. Reality is not interested in
your (or my) dogma; nature simply IS. Slogans, fanaticism, plagiarism,
and the crank/junk science of the extremists, cannot negate reality.

fred patenaude <[log in to unmask]>:
>These guys are not
>joking, either the whole world goes raw or we will inforce it by law!

Tom:
Ooh! An example of "raw megalomania"!  :-)
A bit more seriously, if there ever is a diet enforced by law, you can be
sure it will be the SAD diet, and not raw foods.

fred patenaude <[log in to unmask]>:
>Was there really something going on
>in the raw-food world before NFL? Would anyone have thought of the
>possibility of raw-promotion on OPRAH show before(that's gonna happen).

Tom:
Your friends were talking about getting on Oprah over one year ago, and it
didn't happen. However, if Oprah does a show on phony diet "gurus" and/or
plagiarism, they have a good chance of getting on. :-)

The raw community existed long before NFL, and will continue after NFL is
just a memory, yet another entry in the list of discredited raw diet
guru(s).

fred patenaude <[log in to unmask]>:
>Things are really moving fast

Tom:
The raw world is changing, growing and becoming a bit more polarized: the
moderate wing and the extremist wing. However, the extremist wing  has a
very high turnover; they bring people into the "cult of raw" and then lose
them just as fast, because the diet does not work or they realize their
"diet gurus" are fakes. (There is a lot of turnover in the moderate wing
as well.)

fred patenaude <[log in to unmask]>:
>So what type of
>writing do you think that will really save lives, NFL or the SF Life's
>newsletter?

Tom:
Your friend's approach:
telling people to go 100% raw right now, providing little guidance, and
recommending high % fruit diets: that is a recipe for long-term failure.
In the short run, it may work for a very few (and your friends often denounce
those for whom it does not work), but in the long run it usually fails.

Writing - the NFL book approach is based on fear and hatred of cooked foods
and cooked food consumers. Fear and hatred will change the world - but not
in a positive way.

On the other hand, the SF-LiFE newsletter is a forum. My writings there
emphasize common sense and intelligent choices in life. Someday, Fred,
you will look back on your association with NFL and probably feel very
ashamed. It will take time - experience and maturation, for this to
happen. This may come to you much sooner, if you experience serious health
problems on the perfect diet they promote. This happens quite often in
raw circles.

Tom Billings