RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:55:53 +0200
On 10 Feb 1999, Carol wrote:

>> I've heard that oils that are labeled as "cold-pressed" experience
>> very high temperatures in the pressing process anyway, because of
>> the extreme friction involved, but that the makers are able to say
>> "cold" because they don't add heat on purpose. This sounds pretty
>> likely to me. What do other folks think?

I just read on a bottle of "Bjorg" sunflower oil:

"[The oil] is cold-pressed (T<60°)"

Notes:
* 60 deg C = 140 deg F
* I don't know about other types or brands of oils
* I suspect that at these temperatures, there is very little
denaturation, and that proper storage conditions are more important
than the temperature reached during extraction.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>