RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Schwimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:43:33 -0600
Congratulations for taking responsibility for your health and diet!
It sounds like you've already seen the deep crud of conflicting information
surrounding this way of life. You will have to be the one to decide what
makes sense to you and what doesn't fit.

Even the enzyme theory is controversial. What doesn't seem to be in question
is that food without labels eaten  in it's natural state is beneficial to
health.

The enzymes in food are denatured (destroyed) above about 115 degrees. The
Enzyme Theory states that foods taken into the body with the enzymes present
to break those foods down make them easier to digest and assimilate. Some
people do not agree with this at all as they believe that enzymes are
destroyed in the stomach and the body must produce all of it's own digestive
enzymes.  Lots of arguments on both sides of this.

As far as the Corn goes, supposedly, it doesn't take up the pesticides as
much as other veggies and fruits, but it's probably genetically modified in
some way as the huge agrifarmers have screwed up corn in a major way many
foreign countries won't import our corn. Even Organic labeling is watered
down in standards from the past.

If I were eating the corn, I'd probably wash it the way I do other produce
(that is if your talking about sweet corn, not dried popcorn) in a mild h2o2
bath for 20 minutes or so, but  it's not going to kill you not to. (at least
not right away, and there's lots of other stuff out there waiting to kill us
anyway, so raw corn is not too threatening!)  Some corn (popcorn) can be
sprouted and eaten as well.

Personally, It's too starchy and I don't like the taste and so I don't eat
it too very often and when I do, it's ever so slightly steamed.

Good luck on your journey. No matter what you do, you've come into a
different state of consciousness just in trying as you have opened up to a
whole other world.
 Information will come to you and you can decide what you want to
incorporate and what you want to let go.

Blessings of good health,
Cindy