RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:21:54 -0600 (CST)
Roy said:
>I'm looking for advice on raw forms of protein. I'm doing a
>"zone-favorable" raw diet. Sears' book tells me that I'm not getting
>enough protein. Currently I'm using raw egg whites and raw
>tuna/salmon.

Peter said:
Man, you are way ahead of me. I have quite some catching up to do.:-/

Roy said:
>It is interesting that Barry Sears tends to dump foods into one of the
>three categories. (Only with tempeh and milk does he concede somewhat
>and call them a "balance".)

Peter said:
Raw cheese & raw kefir are also good options along with spirulina which
is somewhere between 60 - 70% protein. And tofu & seitan if you are
willing to eat a little cooked.

Roy said:
>Instinctos, on the other hand, fill their "protein slot" with corn,
>avocados, nuts, etc..

Peter said:
Eve mushrooms and seaweed they lump into their protein category. It is
not meant to be taken literally.

Roy said:
>I don't think I'm ready to eat raw meat. Therefore I'm looking for
>suggestions on good, preferably lower-fat, sources of protein.

Peter said:
Nuts are not an option but broccoli (and possibly other greens) and
most of the legumes can be used. Sears has changed his position a bit
here and for recipes check out his new book "Mastering the Zone" or
check out his web site. (punch in Eicotech in your favorite web
browser) Also, the zone vegetarian web site at
http://members.aol.com/ajbloom/zoneveg/index.htm should be able to help
you out.

Roy said:
>I guess protein powder would defeat the raw purpose, unless it is
>freeze dried. Is there such a thing?

Peter said:
I wish. Protein powders to my knowledge have all been cooked. Maybe
whey from raw dairy would be an option. I will let you know when I know
some more. Of all the cooked powders brewers yeast and food grade whey
would be my choices. The whey is great for reconstituting the
intestinal bacterial flora.

Roy said:
>One final question, Sears seems to be really down on egg yolks. Due to
>the arachnoids (did I get that right?). This seems to be in conflict
>with Severen's book, which quotes another book, "enzyme nutrition",
>that eggs in their raw form actually *lower* serum cholesterol levels.
>Maybe this it is the case that Sears is describing the effect of
>cooked eggs only?

eter said:
He is very down on arachidonic acid (AA) which why he advises against
eating egg yolks. This is one of his weaker points and I choose to go
with the PPNF (Price Pottenger Nutritional Foundation) and instincto
line on this one. Even many dedicated zoners do not follow him on this
point and eating the egg raw would make no difference with respect to
AA. As for cholesterol I am convinced that vegans are cholesterol
deficient, so raw eggs with the yolk are on top of my list - leave a
few for me. :-)

Happy cruising in the raw zone!

Best, Peter

PS. Anybody got any tips on finding a lab that will do blood tests
without a doctor's order?