RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:37:38 -0600
Hi David,

Thanks for forwarding that post.

(quoted):
> factors that could be implicated in these findings, Manis is now
> convinced that the mercury toxicity is due to the large amounts (5 pounds
> a week) of raw fish (mostly ahi) that both he and Ano have been consuming
> over the past few years (Manis even longer than Ano).  Neither of them
> have amalgam dental fillings; Manis had his removed over ten years ago,
> and Ano only had one, which was removed about two years ago.
(snip)

Me:
I'm actually not surprised. I'm not biased against seafood eating;
however, I must say that from what I've read in various sources, that in
this day & age, it is truly not wise to eat much seafood...if any. Fish
have been found to contain concentrations of such nasties as the
aforementioned mercury, as well as PCB's, dioxin, and other toxins.
These toxins have been found by researchers to exist in fish and
fish-eating animals, such as seals, as far remote as the north pole.

Another factor involving seafood - bottom dwellers, such as clams,
scallops, oysters, shrimp, and so on, is that these are generally even
more polluted than fish. The reason being is that these creatures
actually "filter" ocean water at an incredible volume, and thus
concentrate high amounts of toxins in their flesh.

There are many sources of info on this subject...However, here's one I
have off-hand that I can mention a few things from -

Allow me to quote from Dr. Gabriel Cousens' "Conscious Eating", p. 308

"From a practical view, eating fish is potentially dangerous because of
the widespread, ever-increasing pollution of the waters of the world.
The biggest water contaminants are the PCBs and mercury. PCBs, along
with dioxin, DDT, and dieldrin, are among the most toxic of chemicals on
the planet. According to J. Culhane (my note - reference: Culhane, J.
"PCB's: The Poisons That Won't Go Away," Reader's Digest, 113-115, Dec.
1980), only a few parts per billion can cause cancer and birth defects
in lab animals. The Tenth Annual Report of the Council on Environmental
Quality sponsored by the U.S. government found PCBs in 100% of all sperm
samples. According to a Washington Post article in 1979, the PCBs are
considered one of the main reasons that the average sperm count of the
American male is approximately 70% of what it was 30 years ago. This
same article also points out that 25% of college students are sterile
today as compared to 0.5% 35 years ago.  Most toxicity experts agree
that the main source of human contamination comes from eating fish from
waters in which the PCB levels are high, which nowadays can be almost
anywhere. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that fish can
accumulate up to 9 million times the level of PCBs in the water in which
they live. PCBs have been found in fish from the deepest and most remote
parts of the world's oceans. ... Fish and shellfish are natural
accumulators of toxins, because they live and breathe the water in which
they live. Shellfish, such as oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops,
filter 10 gallons of water EVERY HOUR. In a month, an oyster will
accumulate toxins at concentrations that are 70,000 times more
concentrated than the water they are living in."

Wes