RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:10:23 -0700
***Begin part 2

        Undoubtedly man is sinking, suffering and suffocating in a swampy sea of
 sticky, slippery slicks of saturating smelly slimy sludge.
        At the commencement I mentioned that I had just come from California where
 I had a fruitful time by eating large amounts of fruit. The first thing one
 notices is how more efficiently the bowels works. My experience over the
 years has taught me that the residues from cooked and mucous forming foods
 retards the movement of food through the twenty five feet of small
 intestine and colon. The raw food and fruit in passing through the body
 helps to cleanse the intestinal membranes thus releasing some into the
 colon, and bladder. Consequently the stools can become coated with this
 mucous and the urine very foaming. If enough is released it can cause
 coughing, sneezing, sore throat, fever or a running cold. When this happens
 we must drink plenty of fluids and live on small quantity of juicy fruits.
 Symptoms at the beginning may become worse from this cleansing regime as
 vast amounts of residues are released in the general circulation for
 elimination. Those persons who are addicted to tobacco, alcohol, tea and
 coffee and eat fairly large quantities of animal products will find the
 cleansing far more trying because of withdrawal symptoms and the heavy
 nature of the discharge from dairy, eggs and animal fats. One simply has to
 persevere with this simple plan which can be helped by sweat baths and
 sunbaths to assist the elimination.
        Such experiences prove the law that not everything eaten turns to blood,
 tissue or bone or has real nourishing value. It also proves that these
 residual forming foods will as I have said before obstruct the finer
 workings of the body.
        In trying to understand what I refer as Life's Most Important teachings and
 the quest of all deep thinking persons, I have used all my experiences as
 far as I can remember. At primary school, I once remember having diarrhoe
 and the funny thing that I felt so much better. This of course is in
 harmony with Nature Cure teachings which believe in the non-suppression of
 symptoms, and that the proper method is to eradicate the cause. When I went
 to the first Farmer's market near Palo Alto, and saw all the tree ripen
 fruit for sale, I said to the owner of one stall, "your tree ripened plums
 is what the doctor prescribes to give me diarrhoea so as to eliminate all
 the Macdonald Hamburgers that I had eaten the past few months". Of course,
 those who do not know Nature Cure regard diarrhoea as something that has to
 be suppressed by every possible means and not as an excellent health aid.
 Hippocrates is reputed as saying that to cure an illness you must create a
 fever (elimination episode).
        On my next visit to this same market, while sampling some peaches, plums
 and nectarines, I said to the person handing them out, "that it is better
 than mama's cooking. He said, "It is not better than my mama's." This goes
 back to my statement that if it is not cooked, it is not food. One often
 hears this strange statement. "Poor dear, he is so neglected that he never
 eats a cooked meal". He can only eat what he grows in his garden, cold
 lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, berries, fruit and some nuts. All cold and it
 is never warm. Even in winter he must eat this cold food.
        Is it not strange that the dirtiest word in my understanding of English is
 the three letter word "raw" and the eight lettered word "uncooked".
        If you want to annoy someone tell him not to eat a certain food or eat
 cooked food. They will tell you that you are obsessed with food or pushing
 your unscientific or eccentric views on them. You will certainly not be
 welcomed to meals or to restaurants. As a result of this, one of my
 standing jokes is that because restaurants are in desperate need of money,
 and the important work they are doing in feeding people, it will be better
 all round if without visiting the restaurant I sent them a cheque for the
 price of a meal plus a tip for the waiters. This approach will be much
 healthier for me.
        It seems futile for me to explain to these people that starch, eggs, dairy
 products and animal fats produce slime that will coat and pollute the
 alveoli of the lungs, sinuses, sinuses, befog the mind that stifles the
 life force and shortens one's existence.
        Breath is life and life is breath, therefore one must make room for the
 breath of life by not eating toxic and residue forming foods.
        Let me tell you what in my opinion, is the greatest health discovery of all
 time. It is the naturopathic concept that the moment you omit a toxic or
 addictive substance, the body commences the elimination of that substance
 which in turn produces a withdrawal symptom. Each undesirable substance
 produces its distinct symptom of withdrawal. The importance of this
 discovery is that naturopaths found the essential thing is not to suppress
 this symptom but to let it run its course. The patient must just learn to
 bear it and if they are of a slight nature to welcome them and rejoice that
 the body has now eliminating what is not good.
        One only has to eat the addictive substance once a day for the suppression
 of withdrawal to take place. Tea, coffee, chocolate, salt, certain spices,
 cooked food, drugs, exercise, and even too much eating of even raw food can
 suppress a symptom.
        In a sense nature cure rediscovered independently what the yogas learnt
 three thousand years ago. That for higher health, the body must be
 thoroughly purified of all toxic and unwanted substances.
        In spite of what the yogis and naturopaths discovered, mankind today is
 trying to establish good health by drugs, exotic substances, food
 supplements and many other complicated, suppressive methods. It is
 ironically to think that the truth was known by these wise ancients
 thousands of years ago, but generally ignored by modern man. Hatha Yoga is
 very popular today in the form of stretching and breathing exercises but
 what is generally not known that the more important aspect of this science
 is one's conditioning behind the scenes where no physical exertions are
 involved. This conditioning consists of two main elements, purifying
 measures and persevering with a diet that no longer leaves toxic and
 stifling byproducts behind in the system. The yogis rightly say
 unintelligent efforts are futile. What is good therefore that after a long
 prolonged exercise programme, one neutralises the time spent by putting
 back the rubbish that he has sweated out. The yogic poses release some of
 the unwanted accumulations in the joints and muscles, and make you feel
 better for a while, but if the diet is not altogether right, the digestive
 tract will just re-feed a new quantity of obstruction within a short time
 after exercising. Water treatments, cold and hot packs and the cleansing of
 the skin will also achieve beneficial results but again it will only be
 temporary.
        The secret amounts to putting yourself into a deep elimination mode. The
 body can do one of two things - either its energy is directed at
 assimilation or at elimination. Therefore to be healthier, more at ease,
 calmer and in better control of all our faculties, it is not necessary a
 question of a new food, supplement etc., but of assisting the body to
 eliminate the accumulation of toxic substances that is interfering with the
 finer workings of the body. Stretching, deep breathing, hydrotherapy, and
 rest assist the body to do just this. But to achieve this without doing
 anything special, miss as many meals as possible until the body has been
 given the opportunity to eliminate toxic substances from the deeper tissues
 and you feel comfortable in body and mind. In fact one should only eat when
 copious saliva is flowing in the mouth and digestive juices are rumbling in
 the stomach and the previous meal has made a complete journey through the
 body and its residues have been evacuated through the bowels.
        WWW.com.co.xyz. What I am telling you here will not be found on the
 internet. In fact I have no right to say this because I never surf the
 world wide web so I remain to be corrected.
        Simplicity is the key note to success. This statement is most important
 for, to give our mind - our crowning possession - full reign and control of
 our conscious and subconscious minds, we must interfere with the body as
 little as possible and make things simple for it. And as "miracles are
 wrought on an empty stomach" the easiest way to achieve this is not to eat
 unless true hunger is present, and not drink unless thirsty. When our
 digestive tract is not overtaxed with food and liquid, and is in a
 relatively clean condition, our mind becomes free to focus fully on
 externals and permit the subconscious to weave its unique brand of magic
 and flash solutions on our consciousness in its own time. This is the
 correct definition of thinking. Thinking is, after gathering all the
 relevant information, to wait for the subconscious to delete, merge,
 associate, and create those symbols, charts and abbreviated characters that
 contain the answers.
        "Outwardly you will become silent but within your master will speak in the
 voice of a roaring rapid and resounding waterfall."
        "Cleanse the stomach so that the purified mind can be forever inspired."
        Yoga that remarkable science tells us that the brain is the thousand
 petalled lotus which is merely the billions of pieces of information that
 life has recorded and engraved in it. The purpose of Hatha Yoga is Raja
 Yoga which means the perfect development of the powers of the mind. The
 postures, purification, breathing methods of Hatha Yoga are merely tools to
 prepare the body for Raja. But the biggest stumbling block for civilized
 man is food. The wrong food or should it rather be called substances,
 saturates our tissues, organs and ducts with wastes that detract from
 efficiency - the silent breath and the calm mind.
        In the musical play Oliver, perhaps the orphanage keeper was right in not
 heeding Oliver's request "Sir, may I have more. He would have only gave him
 another bowl of foodless soup. Although raw living food is alive, contains
 usable nutrients, and is better processed and utilized by the body it is
 still not a magical substance. However, when we eat our natural food when
 actual hunger is present we become more dietetically satisfied and less
 food conscious. These food do not leave toxic substances behind that
 produce allergies and disturb our mental composure. One obtains better
 results from our natural food when our body is completely purified of every
 drop of unwanted substance that has accumulated in our body since infancy.
 It is for this reason that the body must be put into the elimination mode.
 You can eat the best food and if bedridden for months, you will not even be
 able to walk as the lack of movement will have resulted in atrophy of the
 muscles of the legs. Life is movement and movement is life. We can also
 truly say that life is breath and breath is life. Therefore make room for
 the breath of life. Food can do so much and no more.
        Developed over thousands of years of careful observation and meditation,
 truth handed down from master to desciple over the centuries, and tested
 and retested every step of the way, the ancient yogis understood far better
 than the professors and doctor of our time that health is the balance
 between assimilation and elimination. Is it not ironic and strange that
 this great truth is taught to us in primary school but forgotten or totally
 ignored in our universities. The medical world of today speaks a language
 that nature does not understand. The yogis did not make outlandish claims
 that any specific food is endowed with remarkable virtues or elixirs but
 they did say that we should eat those foods that nature supplies to us.
 They did not talk in terms of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals and
 vitamins. Hovannesian, and Iranian wrote a book on raw foods wherein he
 states that anyone complete whole food will supply the needs of the body.
 So one fruit is not better than another fruit, or one nut better than
 another. Therefore on the raw diet we do not need in the same day, every
 possible fruit. But they knew the importance of a purified intestinal and
 colonic tract.
        Theos Bernard wrote a remarkable book which I read in 1955 or 1956, Heaven
 Lies Within Us. When it went out of print I republished it as Yoga Gave Me
 Superior Health but I my have made a mistake in changing its title because
 to many "yoga" is another dirty four lettered word. However on page 40 of
 this book is found the true health secret. Theos Bernard when initiated
 into the science of yoga - "Infinite energy is at the disposal of any man
 if he knows how to get it; and this is part of the science of Yoga" - was
 told that he had to learn to stand on his head for three hours, he had to
 sit in the lotus pose for the same amount of time. With all his efforts,
 even though he had mastered the yoga poses and special exercises involving
 the abdomen, it was only with difficulty that he could stand on his head
 for one hour. When he tried to go beyond this period he suffered every
 possible ache and pain - stomach ache, back pain, leg pains and headaches.
 His teacher then told him that if he wanted to reach the desired goal, he
 must purify himself internally by using water vomits, swallowing of a cloth
 to soak up slimy wastes, and enemas. His teacher told him that the residues
 which accumulate along the length of the entire membraneous tract is
 responsible for his aches and pain and it must be removed if he wants to
 make progress. Theos Bernard followed his teacher's advice and achieved his
 goals which was to stand on his head for three hours every day for a month.
 He was not told that the solution is in a special food, drug or supplement
 but in the need of inner purification and avoiding those foods which
 produce large quantites of mucous in the system such as the starches, fried
 food and dairy products. He also had to eat very sparingly.
        This is contrary to what the health world believes and teaches. If you wish
 to become confused, first the doctor and pharmacist will offer a thousand
 one remedies, then the natural health practitioners, unless they subscribe
 to the original nature cure teachings that toxic substances in the body are
 responsible for our ailments, will also tell us to take remedies and
 supplements - hundreds of which are found in the Health shop. How absurd
 and fallacious. At birth we come into the world with a blank mind and the
 only things worthwhile to retain in it are those experiences which are
 provable and can be demonstrated year in year out. Consequently, if all the
 things we must believe in and use to be healthy, surely we would have known
 them at birth. So it may imply that there is nothing special to believe in
 or something special to take. Accordingly if you have a problem, you are
 deficient in some element or mentally deficient or both. The other day I
 went to health shop and the assistant told me that the owner takes 150
 different types of pills a day. It is ridiculous to think that all these
 expensive items can do anything for us, if at the same time we are eating
 large amounts of refined, adulterated, chemicalised, cooked items. The
 owner who is over 70 and has a lot of energy, so I am told, must live
 sensibly as well. So what is keeping her young, intelligent living or the
 tablets. One cannot even prove that the pills are achieving anything.
        In "Heaven Lies Within Us", on page 17, Theos Bernard writes:-
        "All the philosophical and religious books I had read stressed the fact
 that if I could hold the Right Thought anything that I desired would be
 mine. The trouble was that it was impossible to hold the right thought long
 enough. I had learned from all previous training that it was one thing to
 be instructed, another to follow the instructions."
        Yes the answer is certainly to keep the right thought uppermost in the mind
 - something that is not easy when there are so many divergent and
 distracting things in this technical world to disturb us. In order to
 achieve this, I go back to books that have given me insight which I re-read
 from time to time or meditate on certain passages. But I also do another
 thing. It is somewhat childish but I give it a tag of respectability and
 justify it by believing that it enables me not to forget life's cherished
 teachings. I always visit second hand book shops and whenever I find my
 favourite books I buy them. They include the writings of Theos Bernard and
 one written by Vithaldas - Yoga Health System. I am also pleased to say
 that I have been able to buy copies of my out-of-print published in 1958 -
 Hatha Yoga in its Moods Multivarious - from a number of second hand book
 shops. For this reason I can list the cities and towns where I have found
 my favourites. Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town, New York, Hay-on Wye near
 the Welsh border, and in California, Fremont, Palo Alto, San Francisco,
 Santa Cruz, Alameda, Oakland, Mountain View, San Jose, Davis and Menlo
 Park. But of course the best way to keep the truth upermost in the mind is
 to apply it on a daily basis. But I have an affirmation to achieve this.
        Start the day right if you want to end it right; and end it right if you
 want to start it right.
        Consequently by never eating breakfast and doing what I do in the morning I
 am starting the day right. But the best way, of course, is to end it right
 by eating sparingly at night or omitting the evening meal altogether.
        It is interesting to note that in Theos Bernard's book on Hatha Yoga on
 page 68 he states that his saliva was thick, heavy and slimy at the
 beginning but became thin, clear and smooth as he continued with the
 purification.
This book also contains this quotation from Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
        "By removing the impurities of the nadis (nerves), the air can be
 restrained, according to one's wish, and the appetite is increased, the
 divine sound is awakened, and the body becomes healthy."

        Much of what I write and what I find of value, comes to me usually
 unsought, after doing some yoga exercises and drinking five or more glasses
 of water on an empty stomach in the early hours of the morning. I also do
 some water sniffing, I cannot afford to sniff snuff, glue or cocaine; but I
 think that I will try to sniff some cayenne pepper water to keep my nasal
 passages and sinuses clean. I believe that this procedure is excellent for
 creative and innovative thinking. Only after I left school did I become
 interested in writing and maintaining a large library of books. My Welsh
 headmaster at high school was so enthusiastic about the game that he told
 us to sleep with a rugby ball. He did not like me when I told him that I
 preferred soccer. For this reason I never go to sleep without reading
 something and waking with a book. But in the end, it is not what you read
 in books that counts but what you experience or by chaining segments of
 truth from one book to another to get the right picture. Man I believe is
 always searching, even if he is not aware of it for some answer or solution
 to a problem in life. Truth comes in small segments to one who is attuned;
 and attunement is more probable, prevalent and pronounced after internal
 purification.
%       In a sense by being fortunate to be able to follow this way of life and
 obtain the necessary literature that supplied me with the information that
 I needed or stripped me of the untrue, fallacious and irrelevant that I can
 say that I have been born with a golden spoon. With the latest computer
 technology barely twenty years old, I have been very fascinated with
 wordprocessing as it enables one to write and alter as the old typewriter
 was never capable of. Yet it is stange all my books, that is what is still
 in print was never written on a computer. But I have hundreds of pages
 written on a computer, and if my time was not spent in understanding what
 the computer is all about I certainly would have written more.
        Ten years ago while living in California, I came across a computer
 shorthand programme which really thrilled me. I also bought the XyWrite
 wordprocessing programme with a book XYwrite Revealed. Computers and how
 they are programmed was a mystery which I wanted to unravel. After studying
 this book and the manuals, the idea came to me that perhaps it is possible
 to type in actual computer shorthand. Almost every morning for the past few
 years a new idea would come to me how to apply the XyWrite programming
 language to achieve this. I received no verbal instruction and it was only
 by stringing the morning ideas together was I able to write a program that
 enabled me to write in computer shorthand without using the space bar or
 caps lock, and then when pressing one key would do the following.
1. Capitalise the first letter of a sentence.
2. Start a new paragraph on a new line, indent it and capitalize the first
 letter.
3. Automatically puts a space after a punctuation mark.
4. Expands each short hand form. Joins two shorthand forms. Or prevents an
 expansion and join one expanded word to another.
5. Gets rid of double spaces automatically in your document.
6. Capitalizes the first letter of a word or ana entire word.
7. An additional programme shows what words did not have a shortform.
        But now that I think about it that there is nothing wonderful or
 complicated about this little programme except that it obeys simple logic.
 But of course this applies to anything that you know or understand - there
 is nothing special to something that has lost its mysterious cloak. It is
 the same simple logic that is needed to reveal the truth in other facets of
 our existence. In the health field it will change the individual's
 perception of what he he needs to know and do to keep healthy. It will not
 be accepted en masse because the wheels of commercialism will not want the
 world to be healthy - what can be sold to a healthy person or person who
 knows that the answer in in fresh air, sunshine, natural food, rest,
 movement and good elimination. Look what logic reveals regarding some of
 our health beliefs.
        *Vaccination and Immunization's implied and underlying meaning - no matter
 how badly you live in the future, it will prevent a certain sickness but in
 the same breath they tell you that it cannot be guaranteed. Medicine and
 drugs, no matter if given some nice sounding names such as ethicals and
 galenicals, is suppose to cure or erase all the effects of past wrong
 living habits, even if persisted in to the very day of taking the medicine.
 What they are really offering you is a pie in the sky. The germ theory is
 also another fallacy which because it is authoritatively and scientifically
 accepted is trying to tell us that something else, other than wrong living,
 is the cause of our illness; and merely by destroying these micro-organisms
 everything will be okay even though we make no change in our habits.
        By not falling for these false teachings I brought up six children without
 medicine, without check ups, and without immunization simply by giving more
 raw foods, and missing meals at the slightest symptom. It is as simple at
 that - a stitch in time saves nine. I regard medicine as something that has
 no direct connection why a person becomes ill.
        Everyone here has golden moments of consciousness. These are the real
 treasures of our life, and many because we hold them in great stead, will
 not be told to anyone. It is said that such unrevealed secrets gives us
 inner strength. It enables us to rise from the ashes like the phoenix and
 keep going when the world does not accept our views or there are difficult
 times to cross. Here are some of my experiences.
        1. After experiencing diarrhoea at primary school I felt so much better.
        2. A golden moment was the headmaster who instilled the idea to be
 enthusiastic.
        3. After eating a handful of oil cakes one night, I must have been 19 or 20
 at the time, the next morning all of sudden while walking down a street in
 Johannesburg, I experienced a terrible headache migraine which affected my
 vision so badly that I could only see a short distance ahead of me as
 everything beyond it seemed black. I went to the office where I intuitively
 began drinking large amounts of water for the next few hours. Although not
 in a state to work while this terrible feeling persisted, the water
 drinking helped matters so much that I was able to continue working after
 1.pm.
        4. On many lunch periods, for almost five years that I worked as a clerk in
 a firm of accountants, I had the good fortune to have discussions with a
 man who was well versed in the occult, mystic and new thought literature.
 He gave me a number of books to read such as Game of Life and How to Play
 It, and Science of Breath. In so doing he introduced me to the studies of
 yoga, nature cure, and the power of the subconscious and the wisdom within.
        In addition to this he encouraged me to study the principles of art, music,
 writing, take dance lessons, and to practise in front of the mirror
 movements involving cricket, boxing, running-on-the-spot, rugby, soccer and
 golf. The latter was to develop body mind co-ordination as his belief was
 that it would improve one's skills for those participating in anyone of
 these sports. He also showed me how to walk fast through crowds of people
 in the city streets by swerving alternatively from one foot to the other
 foot or stopping suddenly and moving sideways. He mentioned that one must
 develop the grace and relaxed motion that one sees in such animals as the
 cat. By practising in front of the mirror for months on end, it certainly
 helped my soccer and cricket, especially the latter - it taught me how to
 play with a straight bat. In latter years practising in front a mirror
 helped me with my yoga practises. He showed also how non-resistant
 movements and "backspin" actions could improve one's performance in certain
 sports. Many years later I was suprised to see this was used by Judo,
 Karate and Aikido experts.
        To improve my writing he encourage me to keep a journal so as to write any
 thoughts which appeared as something new or worthwhile, and also to read
 extensively something everyday.
        Also this according to him was necessary to extract the best that life has
 to offer with never the need to say, "if only I had my life all over
 again." He said that this was a non-sensical statement as one usually would
 make the same mistakes again and again. If I followed what he said it would
 open new avenues of awareness in my mind, and give it the necessary means
 to find those simple secrets or laws of life that will supply solutions and
 give one a better understanding and balanced outlook. To see the realities
 in one's life he mentioned often how necessary was it to question
 everything and never be taken in by first appearances. Again and again he
 extolled the need to seek for life's principle and this he said was by
 applying the law of cause and effect and using the subconscious to attune
 to the universal wisdom.
        Only after reading for a few years that I realized what he was stating had
 already been echoed by Yoga thousands of years ago, and he was merely
 reiterating their teachings of basic eternal truths.
        4a. Two sayings during this same period which made an impression on my mind
 was 'keep a sharp lookout' and 'you must have your head screwed on right'.
 They were not uttered by the same person.  An affirmation used by an
 ancient Greek philosopher was a mantra very comforting when I was in
 despair or had a troubled moment.
        "Where shall I find the good and the bad. Externals are not in my power.
 Within are the things which are my own. Will is my power."
        5. My study of massage, anatomy and physiology during 1953, 1954 and 1955
 helped me to understand yoga and nature cure better.
        6. Playing cricket during the weekends, showed how being in the fresh air
 for long periods enable one to feel toned up for the next three days.
        7. My first marathon ever was an eye-opener. I felt wonderfully euphoric
 for an entire week afterwards. I experienced this same feeling a number of
 years later after running a 35 mile marathon. Strange to say I never had
 the same euphoria again even after completing a number of 55 mile
 marathons. These two stand out as my best experience except for one other
 as described in number 8.
        8. On one occasion I attempted to run a hundred miles around a track on a
 relatively warm sunny afternoon. It would need me to run over 400 laps of a
 quarter mile circuit. In five and half hours I managed to run over a
 hundred when I decided to drop out because of a bad hip pain, but perhaps,
 if I stopped running and started walking a few laps and then continuing
 running, I would have managed to complete the distance. Apart from the hip
 trouble I was feeling fine. During my sojourn around the track I notice a
 number of runners who were vomiting and in a much worse conditiion than
 what I was in. But because I had spent these hours running in the fresh air
 I found that for the following week, the moment I breathed deeply, I would
 feel a glow around the heart and a delightful sensation along the spine.
 This again made me think of what yoga teaches and raising the kundalini or
 as William Wordsworth puts it, "All of a sudden I saw a host of golden
 daffodils."
        9. Writing was always moments of golden consciousness as it enabled me to
 develop a greater degree of intuitive understanding. Much of what I wrote
 was thoughts that came to me during those times when I was not writing or
 reading. This anyway how I wrote the Kindred Soul, and Golden Path to
 Rejuvenation.
        10. One other golden moment was when in the 1960's, I climbed, with a
 guide, Cathedral Peak, a 10,000 foot mountain which was 6 miles from the
 hotel in seven hours. This peak is in the Drakensberg Mountain range which
 is really not a mountain range but the highest escarpment in the world - an
 escarpment is where the land suddenly rises thousands of feet to a new
 plateau. It was a great moment because I was terrified of heights and was
 not in training for the climb or for the running which the guide made me
 do. We ran and walked to base of the mountain, and did the same thing from
 the mountain to the hotel. A few days later with the same guide he and I
 did boulder hopping for many miles down a dried up river bed - it was very
 strenous and most dangerous. Lucky for me I did not slip once. While at
 this same resort, on the plateau of a small little mountain, Mushroom rock,
 I nearly fell to my death by running across it without realising that it
 was not very long and that its appearance was deceptive. I was fortunate
 enough to stop within yards of the edge. This latter experience reminded me
 of a time when my brother and myself, running across a field during a heavy
 winter rain while returning from watching a soccer match, almost ran into a=
 swollen water canal. We both amazingly managed to stop in time.

***End part 2