RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm Skrzypinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:20:49 -0400
The Taoist "unique principle" states that each force is opposed; that
is,
that the universe is a zero-sum game.  I don't think that there's much
opposition to this notion, even among those who espouse and are
involved in
the development of "sound scientific ideas".

Yang refers to the concentration of energy, the creation of potential
--
inputs.
Yin refers to the expression of energy, the creation of effects --

Income  -  Expense  =  Wealth
Anabolism  -  Catabolism  =  Health

Wealth is what you have that is outside of you.
Health is what you have that is inside of you.

Building wealth is accomplished by either increasing revenue or
reducing
expenditure, or both.
Building health is accomplished by either increasing assimilation or
reducing disintegration, or both.

Health and wealth are closely related.
You can reduce your health to increase your wealth, or vice versa.
Many of us are on the horns of this dilemma, I believe.

Macrobiotics seeks to apply these principles to the maintenance of the
well-being of individuals and societies.  The first proponents of
macrobiotics, however, were Japanese.  Like all of us, they were
largely the
product of their experience.  Their experience, in nutrition, revolved
around cooked grains and beans; unfortunately, for them and their
followers,
this is not ideal.

A stimulus evokes a response.  A response is an expression of energy.
If
you've expressed it, you ain't got it no more.

Many macrobiotic people, over several decades, have sought to identify
which
foods are yin and which are yang.
Yin foods are those which either directly stimulate or facilitate the
expression of energy.  Oils (omega-6 and omega-3), sugars (either in
fruit
or more concentrated forms), spices and nightshades are among these.
Yang foods are those which provide the factors that allow our bodies
rebuild their structures and store energy.  These include
meat/fish/fowl,
grains, legumes.
Roots and nuts contain a lot of both yin and yang elements.  Roots can
be
eaten regularly, but in moderation.  Nuts can be eaten sparingly.

I've learned a lot from my time as a follower of macrobiotics -- not
the
least of which was to avoid cooked grains and legumes like the plague
that
they are.  The central, organizing principle, however, has helped to
shed
some light on many things.

All living things are in a state of dynamic equilibrium.  We are in a
constant state of flux, simutaneously assimilating energy and
construction
materials, and depleting stores and breaking down structures to
release
energy, in order to eliminate waste and support our productive
activities.
If our income is less than our outgo, we will eventually reach the
state in
which we are filled to capacity.  At this point, our daily surplus can
not
be stored and we become one of those rare, exuberant people who are
constantly seeking creative and productive outlets for their abundant
energy.

Norm