RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 19:19:56 -0800
Bhodi said:
>we may discover it tomorrow, next year,
>next century, or never.  but the fact that homo sapiens has eaten
>insects, eggs, small game, scavenged from large kills, etc. for our
>entire evolutionary history, speaks volumes to me.  all of the large
>primates eat insects.  some eat eggs, some eat other mammals.
>anyways, read ward's interview if you haven't already (or read it
>again!):
>
>                http://chetday.com/ward1.htm
>
>        from a former vegan turned compassionate carnivore: try it.  I

Your post from which the above is taken is the most inspiring promotion
I yet have seen for eating RAF's! Have you felt any difference in your
health since including these foods in your diet? I suspect that
compassionate omnivore would be a more appropriate name.;-)

Bhodi said:
>Ombodhi Thoren St. John, 21, was cited by Santa Clara County sheriff's
>deputies and charged with willful disobedience of a court order -- a
>tempo-rary restraining order issued Friday to stop area residents from
>blocking the road.

Bhodi, you are indeed our Great Raw Hope! Keep us up-dated on how you
doing in your efforts to save the old growth forest.

Bhodi said:
>>> theoretically, i like "green kamut" and "just barley", both from
>>>the same company.  dried juice, no fiber, no maltodextrin, no cooked
>>>brown rice, no kelp (i can take the last item seperately, the former
>>>scare me aw

I agree. Have you tried Gary Null's "Green Stuff"?

Bhodi said:
>this morning i called the number printed on stueve's kefir
>carton.  i reached a recording that offered a 1-800 number for orders
>and a local one for mr. boyd clark.  i called the latter:
>(909)399-3560.  boyd answered and i had an enjoyable chat with him.

Thanks for an excellent report!  Your post on the energy potential of
water I lost. Could you please email it to me? Also, do you have any
idea where I can get hold of a copy of "Elexir of the Ageless" by
Patrick Flanagan?

Bhodi said:
>or something like that.  personally, i will bury my cat when she
>dies.  i've seen her eat too many things from a can... and i don't
>think i could easily handle the emotional component of such an action.
>anyone out there who loves animals *and* eats them (i mean their own
>pets)?

I doubt that it is common in any culture to eat ones pets - even in
South Korea.

Ric said:
>That was the next to last raw animal product our family quit (honey
>the last), and when the dairy vacated our abode, so did mucous
>problems, colds, etc.  Dairy (both cow and goat) milks don't closely
>proximate human milk, so we weren't surprised at the improvements in
>our well being once we cut the delicious liquid (and cheeses) out.

Ric, welcome back to the list. As I intend to soon add some raw
dairy to my diet, I will let you know if the same happens to me. If you
do not have the proper bacteria in your gut that could cause you to
have mucous or maybe you were just detoxing cooked dairy. I enjoyed
your piece on Steuve's - it is almost enough for me to skip the raw
dairy and go straight for the "real" RAF's - though I am sure that was
not what you had in mind. ;-)
Whatever happened to David John Carmos? - Is he still living and
practicing in San Diego? And how has the San diego raw food community
handled the loss of one its most inspired front figures namely C.J. who
wrote the book "The Christ Diet"? I understand that he is now back on a
mostly cooked diet with lots of CAF's.

Ric said:
>>Haven't yet finished the book, but will report back in when I do.

I look forward to hearing your response. Especially since all the
vegans defending the book so far have refused to respond to but a few
of the criticisms of it.

Ric said:
>To me the "law" is one sticky wicket for sure, but as Hegel put it:
>"Perfect freedom is perfect obeyance to perfect law...."  Since other
>mammals in their wild state are basically free of the diseases of
>"civilization," and get them quickly upon having their normal food
>simply cooked, I think it's not too unreasonable to at least suspect
>that there may be some sort of "law" operant in nature that
>establishes certain "specifications" about the fuel our bods were
>designed to require for proper function.

Since most animals die or are killed at the first sign of any weakness
it is not so easy to assess if they do succumb to some of the diseases
that inflict man. I was surprised to hear that mountain gorillas come
down colds living in their damp environment.

Ric said:
>>>The many anthropological observations that have been made over the
>>>ages made me believe we just aren't equipped with the special
>>>equipment birth righted to carnivorous critters.

Even Alan Walker's research never showed that. Whatever observations
you are referring to all modern research contradicts it. If in doubt
read the Ward Nicholson interviews in H & B.

Tom said:
>The problem with oats is that to sprout them you must use unhulled
>oats. So-called "whole oats" or "oat groats" won't sprout. The only
>(known) general source for unhulled oats is Jaffe Bros., a mail-order
>firm specializing in organic foods, address: P.O. Box 636, Valley
>Center, Calif. 92082-0636; phone 619-749-1133.

I can make them sprout but they have to be rinsed many times or they
will go bad. I will order some from Jaffe Brothers and will report back
any difference. Your posts on sprouts, nuts & milk substitutes were
the best, and I look forward to when you get down to putting all your
knowledge into a book.

Tom said:
>10. Be careful about fasting. Fasting is very healing and cleansing,
>and is one of nature's most powerful curatives. Through its cleansing
>power, fasting can (eventually) reduce food cravings. However, fasting
>can also cause a psychological sense of deprivation, which may lead
>the faster to overeating and/or binge eating after the fast is over.
>If your reaction to fasting is a cycle of overeating-fasting, then it
>is not doing you any good! Those fasting "experts" who suggest very
>long fasts, often ignore this problem.

I could not agree more. Most of the people I have known who have gone
on multiple and lengthy fasts (water only) have all been quite
overweight as they have often followed up their fasts with long periods
of overeating - which is probably some kind of compensatory mechanism
running amuck .

Axel said:
>I was wondering if anybody knows about some high-quality
>powdered raw sea vegetable, because I would like to get some minerals
>into my blood but my digestion is impaired and I cannot even digest
>the dulse flakes.

Soak some whole dulse for a few minutes, then put it in a blender with
some vegetable juice and it will slide right down.

Axel said:
>Any other easy-to-assimilate concentrated source of minerals/vitamins
>would also help me.

Many of the green super-food powders should fit that description. Try
ordering some of Gary Null's "Green Stuff, which also contains "Green
Kamut" + raw, not cooked, brown rice. To order "Green Kamut" call
310-498-5769. To order "Green Stuff" call 212-799-1246.
.
Michael said:
>As moderator Peter has to make judgment calls about what is acceptable
>and what isn't.  In my experience this was not easy to do at all.
>Here Peter clearly stated his reasons for his actions and gave
>everyone involved ample warning and opportunities to respond.

Thanks! - as our former listowner/moderator indeed you know.

David said;
>Peter, thanks a whole lot for all the information on fasting and
>alkaline diets. I would really appreciate any further comments or
>experiences on fasting. Everyone is leaving my house at the end of
>February, so I plan my first fast for that time.

Unless I was really sick if I were you, I would do just 3-4 days on
juices and then concentrate my efforts on getting my eating habits up
to snuff. Fasting is too often used as a quick fix or as of a way to
redeem oneself from prior sins. Nobody really knows what happens if the
body cannot rid itself of all the toxins that are released during a
fast, and by putting the body in a starvation mode you will often loose
lean body mass and put on fat afterwards.

Christian said:
>his low-temperature device is called "Stuplich-Topf" and was invented
>by a german jeweler who now produces and sells it. I read somewhere
>that his wife left him and he was to busy to cook for himself.

Thanks for the information and sorry for the mix-up!

Best, Peter