RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:59:39 -0400
Mary:

> I was wondering about the carb counts for sprouts.

Sprouts can be classified in several categories:
1) Legumes (adzukis, fenugreek, lentils, peas, chickpeas, mung beans,
clover...): contain more carbohydrates than protein, but are among the richest
in protein. I think that mung beans are about 35% protein, and contain a fair
amount of fat. Other legumes are between 20 and 30% protein.

2) Cereals (barley, wheat, buckwheat, millet, corn, bearded wheat, oat...): on
average 10% protein (so, much less than legumes), but thanks to the high fiber
content, they have a low glycemic index.

3) Oleaginous (sunflower, sesame): mostly fat. [sunflower is one of my favorite]

4) Many other categories. Examples: mucilaginous (flax...), cruuciferous
(radish), etc... Are less commonly used.

> I once tried an all fruit diet and gained 10 lbs.
> in a week.

That's amazing. People usually get very thin on an all fruit diet.

> I've been eating lots of green salads (even for breakfast!).
> I cheat on the salad dressing so I can get the stuff down.  I wonder if
> you can go overboard on greens?

No idea. Perhaps experience will tell.

> I want to walk 45-60 minutes a day (if you really want to circulate the
> nutrients. . . ) So far, I'm pretty sporadic.

I like walking too. In fact, I almost never use cars or public transportation,
and I go to work, shopping, etc. on foot. I walk 75 minutes/day on average.

> I've been reading the LC list, but don't exactly enjoy the recipes.  They
> went on and on about pork rinds for awhile.

Exactly. It is difficult to have a LC diet if you are vegetarian, and even more
difficult if you eat raw. But you can reasonably expect a mid-carb diet, and if,
because you eat raw, you avoid "bad carbs" like bread and pasta, you will
certainly get some benefits.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis