RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:43:19 +0100
Hi [log in to unmask]:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:23:39 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >         Hi Tom,
>
> See http://www.acponline.org/journals/annals/01apr97/stones.htm for
> information regarding calcium and oxalic acid.
>
> Apparently they inhibit the absorption of each other.

If you had said "calcium binds oxalic acid helps to neutralise
it" and also that "excessive calcium intake (as in supplements) was
observed to cause kidney stones" then you would have done this
report more justice. Nevertheless there are too many "mays" and
very little conclusive evidence of oxalic acid either inhibiting the
uptake of calcium or even being the root cause of kidney stones
(some of which have been observed to be made from calcium oxalate)
that it is next to useless.

Alan