RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:43:59 -0500
> Frank:
> My understanding of enlarged organs is that it is a bad thing. These
> means too much stress which is bad. I don't think doctors would say an
> enlarged heart is a good thing.

On the contrary, a good level of cardiovascular fitness (like among those
who practice aerobic sports) is associated with a larger heart. But heart
is a muscle, contrary to the pancreas. It would be more appropriate to
compare an enlarged pancreas to an enlarged liver, which I don't think is
always healthy... Certainly, it could be that a larger pancreas isn't bad,
and it is large merely because it produces more enzymes. But if it
produces more enzymes, that are used up in the digestion process of the
raw soybeans, the benefit is zero.

> Dr. Howell also believes that aging is caused by
> using up our "enzyme potential". Once it is used up we die. Its a
> theory.

Certainly a theory. No one has ever measured any enzyme potential. The
current theories of aging have nothing to do with enzymes. As long as the
body receives the correct nutrients, and the genetic material is still
there, I don't see why the body couldn't keep manufacturing enzymes.

JL