RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 09 Feb 1997 20:40:00 -0800
on jan 20th, peter brandt asked me:

>I believe that John Robbins said that if people in the US cut down
>their meat consumption by 10% then there would be enough food in the
>world to feed everybody. (I am right, Bhodi?)It seems to me that a
>moderate consumption of raw animal foods (RAF) could be a sustainable
>solution.

aloha!
	peter,
		sorry i took so long to answer.  when i originally read
it, it came as the first message in a digest, and i didn't get back to
it.  glad i stumbled over it again while looking for my post on stueve's
dairy (for sandy labedz, who has cheese cravings).

	john robbins pointed out in his life-changing, pulitzer-prize
nominated book _diet_for_a_new_america_ that a 10% reduction of meat
consumption in *america* would save more than enough grain to feed the
all the starving people on *earth*.  touring with yes!, i can expand on
this.  first, know that 12 to 16 pounds of grain fed to a cow produce 1
pound of beef.  some argue that the grain grown for cattle "isn't fit for
human consumption" (!), because of the pesticides heavily applied to
crops earmarked for non-human use.  (another strong argument for organic
meats)  however, the amount of land freed from producing grain for cattle
*could* grow low- or no-pesticide food for people.
	during the great famine in ethiopia during the first half of the
80's, a 747 packed with meat took off each day bound for western markets
(europe & usa).  so meat reduction increasing land availability doesn't
necessarily mean we would then have to export our grain to starving areas
of the world.  it could mean *just* *let* *them* *eat* *the* *food*
*they* *grow* *themselves*, rather than setting up such foolishness as
feeding crops to cattle so we can have cheap big macs & whoppers.

	i'd like to learn accurate bow hunting, along with which species
don't belong here.  introduced, non-native birds and other wildlife.  eat
the animals that compete with indigenous animals.  anyone have some tips?

winging it,
	   bodhi

ah, my friends from the prison, they ask unto me
"how good, how good does it feel to be free?"
and i answer them most mysteriously,
"are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
			"ballad in plain d" by bob dylan