RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:48:15 EDT
Hi Jon,

I really liked your story about your friend that doesn't listen, and I liked
what you said to him about trying to listen to you.

The only think I've found that works with people that just cannot listen to
anyone at all, is to ask them questions about what seems to be their chief
complaint (Like, "It's really hard trying to convince people to clean up their
health, isn't it?")  or something like that. There's SOMETHING that they are
trying to desperately get off their chest, and I figure, they're clearly
unable to pay attention to anything else, anyway, so might as well try to help
with whatever is agitating them.

I might ask why they care so much about other people's health, or, what it was
like health-wise in their family growing up, or, how they came to be a raw-
foodist, or some question like that which seems to address the real reason
they're on a diatribe. (That's only if I have a free moment, and feel a
genuine desire to help on that particular day).

That's the only way I've figured out how to deal with people who are so
perturbed that they just are unable to listen or pay attention to anything
else except what's racing through their own head.

You're very generous and patient for trying!

You could always say "God gave us one mouth and two ears." but he probably
wouldn't even hear you.

(ps are you coming to Odenton? hope so hope so hope so ....  ;-))  )

Love, Liza
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)