RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 08:44:55 -0400 (EDT)
disturbing hormone mimic view--uhhg

Yes,Kirt, I didn't wish to speak of it when the miscarriage was so fresh,
but did you note  my sig line? Ignorance is bliss, perhaps, but bliss
doesn't understand, and it takes understanding to make progress. Her book
just came out last year, but there have been disturbing little blurbs here
and there which were just to painful to contemplate.
I think the most horrible sentences in the book are that the only way to rid
the mother of excess estrogenics is by nursing, in which case they are then
concentrated in the baby's tiny body. Surely this isn't so, surely that
after careful diet the body's defenses can eliminate them in a year--if bone
can be replaced in a year, can't hormone's be flushed out?

>I'm rapt (especially considering our two unexplained miscarries) but does
>your book deal with the obvious question: if it is really that bleak how
>did we as a species (and I suppose the rest of plant-eating animals) avoid
>extinction long ago. Have we not evolved a liver precisely to deal with
>such innate "toxins"?

We have added overwhelming insult to our bodies.The extent of miscarriages
has ballooned since the advent of the chemical industry. We dealt with the
phytochemicals, but (this next is my finger pointing, not Theo's)since FDR
saved the country from the depression with the building of the highways, and
the proliferation of auto's and the petrochem industry ensued, then came the
huge agri industry with money to invest in (now, back to Theo) DDT etc, and
the pharmaceuticals with DES--and the beat goes on. My oldest son left for
the Tetons at 18 with his childhood sweetheart--they lived in a heatless(!)
tent the first year, and heatless cabin another year, a huge dog sleeping
with them for warmth--they were high above contaminants, Mike hunted, they
gathered wild foods, they had their three chidren by natural childbirth,
"nor all my tears nor piety could change a word of it"__ Omar Khayyam.They
have the most beautiful children, in vibrant health and strength and self
sufficiency, it is humbling. They live in Jackson WY now,eating the shipped
in foods. My youngest son, with his PhD, and his bride settled in Austin for
a time. Their first child had a protruding underbite which has cost a
fortune to repair--she is now lovely. But her sexual maturity has now begun
at 11. Their infant son had to have surgery for an undescended testicle. I
shudder with contemplation.

>If we give your author the benefit of the doubt on this, what is the
>solution? Avoid veggies and somehow sidestep organo-chlorides. I doubt that
>the former is possible, but given my ambivilance about veggies...well,
>sounds good to me ;)
>Not really wanting to think about pollution much less organic veggies,

Forgive me, I don't like to know that in the old days they cut off the head
of those who brought bad news. I don't like the role, but Kirt, if we don't
stop the gov't/industry greed and instigate such severely punitive fines, as
NRDC, Worldwatch,Union of Concerned Scientists, and others I ranted about on
Maxlife are working toward, I am truly frightened. There are signs now that
world leadership is becoming seriously concerned.People are not informed,
although info is to be had, and not angry, and like the increased "standard
of living",. The huge monstrous homes, eating up the land by the 1000's of
thousands in Atlanta ( with all the rest of the consumer feeding frenzy
between both buyer and seller) are a clue as to why there is no demanding
outcry. It WILL come, but when?

This has been my lance for many years, but I wearied of the indifference,
and now I just write scary letters on the web and phone my senators, a gnat
easily brushed aside.But Kirt, millions of gnats can plug the machinery
up!..and will have to, it won't change voluntarily.

The answer I believe is to understand, be an activist, and do everything
possible to avoid drinking water from a city supply,(altho, as predicted,
our groundwater is now becoming contaminated) and seek uncontaminated food
as if your life depended on it. This is a question to instinctive raw food;
what if our instincts can't discern phyto and chem estrogenics? Do we just
suffer plain  overload? What choice is there?
We must eat and drink.The albatross, as I reported, from the supposedly
isolated and pristine area on earth is found to have dangerous amounts of
PCB's in it's body.the insanity must stop. I t will require a simpler life.
(Less heart attacks, less mental illness, healthier lives, more joy?) People
will fight that like a banshee. It will take fear, stark personal NOW fear
to stop it.

I don't want to think about it on this beautiful morning, either. Especially
not when I feel physically better than I have for years with all the raw
grazing I am doing in my healthy garden. With four seasons of produce a
year, I don't always sing and smile, except when I am eating! It's hard to
play Cassandra today, I hate the role, but more voices need be heard.

Forgive me for spoiling your day, too. The only antidote is action, any
action at all.
Arm yourself with the references from her book, and have a go.

This, too, shall pass, there's a new world coming!  After the crisis comes joy.

Pat