RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:11:51 -0700
> Axel:
> >...for example, when i eat heavy cooked food, i am less thirsty, i
> >pee less. can you understand or explain this? i can not. if i eat
> >say, avo with greens and dulse at night, usually i would be thirsty
> >during the night. but check this out: if i eat super deadly you-name-
> >it, pasta, cheese with honey, etc, i am LESS THIRSTY, and usually do
> >not wake up during the night to pee and drink water. can you see this?
> >do you think i have the slightest idea about this? no way!! i do not
> >have a clue.
>
> Mark:
> As I understand it, salt causes our bodies to retain water.  If you
> are eating pasta and cheese, which are generally loaded with salt,
> maybe this is causing your body to retain water and feel less need
> to pee.

Perhaps part of what is going on is that when Axel pigs out on the
no-no foods, he gets far more calories, protein, etc. than he usually
does, and he puts on a little weight.  (A sensitive scale would be
helpful here.)  Water is a part of all added body weight, whether
that weight be in the form of lean tissues, fat, or water for holding
things in solution.  So if he did put on weight, of whatever type,
that would account for some of the water he's not peeing.

But here's a question:  Do the concentrated salts found in dulse that
has been rinsed in fresh water and dried at a low temperature not
cause as much water retention as refined salt does, even though the
concentration is high?

Carol