RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:58:37 -0500
Hey Ben!!

> When,
> they finally recognize that I wasn't cooking anything, the most they said
> was, "cool, man, you don't have to cook anything."

HAH!! That's great, Ben! Funny, and great.

>  The best part of it is that I don't have to worry about any of
> my roommates stealing my food!  >;-)  (this was a big problem my freshman
> year).

:D  Heh heh ... A funny and wonderful solution to a problem. I use the same
trick in my house, actually - I keep and eat such "weird" stuff, according
to some of my kids' tastes, that all they do is take it out of the
refrigerator ocasionally, just for the amusement of staring at it in
horror, or to show their friends and say "eeeewwwww - grrrossss" and make
lots of crude sounds. Other than that, no problem with disappearing food -
even with their utterly awesomely humongous appetites.

The kids that eat what I eat aren't at home any more - so it's only around
the holidays that I suddenly find, to my surprise, the refrigerator empty,
and all my food gone.

> The funny thing is that one of my brazen
> roommates decided to try some raw meat the other day.  He didn't really like
> the texture, but he ate a bit and said it tasted fine.  Now they all will
> pick a bit here and there to show their "manliness."

You're great, Ben, and this little story is a terrific example of how to
change people's eating habits in an entirely friendly, non-arrogant or
presumptuous, and maybe most importantly  -- EFFECTIVE  --  way.

I wish people would understand what you evidently do naturally, but it just
seems to be exceedingly difficult for people on our various specialized
diets to grasp the concept that teaching by making friends and just
modeling good habits, is soooo much more effective than preaching theories,
or using fear tactics about gloomy health problems, or acting urgent or
impatient, or employing hate of other groups or superiority over them, or
acting superior because you eat "better," or pretending to be an expert and
making pseudo-scientific claims that are really just your opinions, or
criticizing a person for mainstream SAD eating, all those things we tend to
do when we try to change other people's eating habits.

It's good to hear from you, and thanks for keeping us posted on how things
are going there at school. I was curious to know how you were doing, and
hoping you'd write when you got a chance.

Love, Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)