RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:13:10 -0200
Jean-Louis Tu
>and this brings the question: I would be very interested to know about
>your motivations for becoming a raw vegan (or rather, "eating more raw
>vegan", thanks to Tom and Mollie for that nice expression). Is there any
>connection between rawism and veganism? Have you made both decisions
>independently, or do you feel that vegans should eat raw, or that since
>you eat raw you must be vegan, etc.

        Hi Jean-Louis,

    For me it was all an intuitive process with some basic information about
nutrition and health. First I went vegan as a way to loose weight and
achieve better health and wellness, and also avoid oxidants( also a
guideline: no fat, no processed sugar, less toxic/oxidants). I used to be a
standard dieter and meat (over)eater and became concerned with the hearth
and vascular facts of this habits. .
    Also wholistic concerns,as general awareness grew. So I sticked(?)
mostly to fruits and all vegetables salads, soups and cooked food. Just had
some bread, too. Stopped eating grains(cereal) either, 'cause I found them
not practical , highly caloric . As this became my basic diet, I indirectly
went into the raw vegan direction eating less soups and cooked food, and
since I  read an article in our largest newspaper here about that restaurant
in S.F., and the raw food "trend", I got interested and started searching
'till I found this list And found out that I fit in the raw concept, in
someway.
    I now believe that raw is the way to go for earlier vegans, or as said
"next step for vegetarianism". (although I think it might be hard for those
who eat cooked grains, rice, potatos...) And Raw itself as a healthy
diet(dispite meat/no meat).
    I think there is no "perfect" diet and I try to adapt my way of life,
habits and concepts to my diet and vice-versa.
        Peace,
                Helio