RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 18:59:46 +0200 (MET DST)
- wrote:

> It is very possible that this would happen to me as well but I do not
> have the patience or faith to wait for it to manifest. I believe that
> my psychological conditioning has been denying my body its natural
> needs for too long and caused its stops & limits to be overridden to
> such a degree that its instincts can no longer be trusted.

Interesting. Some aversions that have a psychological origin may
interfere with the instinct. Someone I know became a (cooked)
vegetarian because when she was 12 years old, her mother served some
rabbit at lunch... and it was her pet (I don't remember the obscure
reasons). But curiously, she still can eat chicken (it is the only
meat she eats).

You have serious difficulties to overcome, Mr. -. I hope it will be
worth the trip.

-:

> Thanks for your many inspiring posts on the issue. They help keep the
> instincto vision pure and undiluted and give us some perspective on the
> human condition by re-connecting us to our ancestral roots. To my
> romantic soul instincto is an ideal expression of the highest form of
> spiritual practice but unfortunately way out of reach for a neurotic
> mortal as myself, and I believe that one of the reasons why so many of
> those who try it fail is that they are not spiritually ready to
> undertake it. Maybe it would be helpful if the vision was separated
> from the practice and a revision of instincto practice was introduced
> in the form of a transition or compromise diet of some kind -
> especially seen in the light that Orko-quality, wild foods are the only
> foods that instinctos seem to be able to eat safely without getting
> into trouble with overeating too much of the wrong of foods and that it
> according to instincto theory will take several generations of
> instinctive eating for instinctos to reclaim their original, primal
> health. Both seem to call for some kind of comprise if more than just a
> very few highly inspired & strong-willed people are to eat
> instinctively.

You are right to point out that since our food is denatured, instinct
cannot function properly, so a perfect instincto diet is an ideal that
we will never attain. OTOH, a non-instincto diet (i.e., with mixings,
seasoning, etc.) will never perfectly fulfill the needs of the
body. The question would be of course whether a compromise (making
salads...) would be closer to perfection than instincto with denatured
food or not. The answer of course depends on the past dietary habits,
the level of self-discipline of the person, etc.

I don't see any problem in practicing a not-perfect
instincto-nutrition with 75% "ordinary" organic food, 15% non-organic
tropical fruits and 10% Orkos for the few items that cannot be found
easily otherwise (unheated dates and nuts, cassia), as long as we are
conscious that our diet will never be perfect, and we don't care about
that.

-:

> Another problem is that instincto is basically a human version of the
> chimp diet and no matter how close we are genetically to these our
> closest primate relatives, I do not think trying to emulate their diet
> is a very instinctive act but rather an attempt to pursue an
> intellectual idea that no matter how truthful is a construct of our
> imaginative neo-cortex. If instincto was practiced truly instinctively,
> I believe that we among instinctos would see a greater variety in the
> types & proportions of foods chosen to mirror the great diversity of
> circumstances ( seasons, climate zones etc) that man has been able to
> adapt to and to match the unique history, background & genetic make-up
> of the individual trying to practice it and see less of the
> one-size-fits-all ideology that seems so prevalent.

I disagree. Some surprising variations exist (for instance, even a
tiny scrap of onion burns my tongue like hell, whereas some persons
love it).

-:

> The way Kirt has described how he & Melisa often ate during their
> travels around the world, their diets for periods of the time sometimes
> only consisting of a couple of foods - depending on availability -
> often predominently RAF,  I believe came closer to how our foraging &
> scavenging, Paleolithic ancestors ate than the year around banquet of
> exotic foods made available by Orkos. As examples of this I see it as a
> justification for neurotic cravings more than an expression of
> instinctual needs when instinctos in Northern temperate climates
> periodically claim to be needing massive amounts of durians from the
> tropics or dates from hot, subtropical desert climates in order to
> thrive.

I basically agree, but it would be exaggerated to say that all
instinctos eat huge amounts of exotic foods. Personally, I find that
exotic fruits are important because eating only apples and peaches
would be pretty boring. I don't need a lot: I have some exotic fruits
at 2 meals/week. In addition, I sometimes buy a durian (can have a
marvelous taste, but the stop come rather quickly), and some dates (I
hope my almost pathological attraction will become sustainable
soon). Dates are the only tropical fruit that I buy from Orkos.

I don't see any problem in eating tropical fruits when you live in
Norway. Isn't the temperature of your house "tropical" (64 F or more)?
Don't our ancestors originate from Africa?

Concerning the variety of our diet, I agree that we shouldn't eat
durians or avocados out of season, but I think that animals in the
wild have more staples in their diet than us. Chimps eat fruits we
have never heard of, and even eat flowers, soil (and of course bone
marrow, brains...)

Best wishes, and thanks for your "moderate" moderation, Mr. -.

Jean-Louis.